Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default I'm submitting this simple

I'm submitting this simple short oboe and piano piece as a contrast to the AmericanProkofieff improvisation I submitted in the Contemporary Classical section.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>ShortTuneOboeAndPiano.not
ShortTuneOboeAndPiano.not (24.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

I improvised this piece a few years ago in a little 10-minute session. I spent a lot more time, though, shifting notes a little bit to the right or left to clean up rhythms. But the melody and accompaniment is pretty much exactly as I improvised it.

A few years ago I used to improvise at the electronic keyboard a lot in this style, when testing Composer. I found that I could momentarily relax while doing the improvisation, before getting back to work to explore what problems there might be in Composer's recording or transcription logic.

You might notice that the piece ends in the dominant (V) chord, F, relative to the key of Bb. Technically, that is called a "half cadence". It begs for a return to the original key. So, I satisfied that with a repeat. But after the repeat, what did I do the second time the half cadence was hit? Perhaps I was just lazy by doing nothing. But, a half cadence at the end of a song is often successfully used in music to leave an intentional feeling of incompletion, an unsatisfied desire for something more to come.

Cheers
-- Mark