Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Well, as threatened,

Howdy,

Well, as threatened, here's another one

This one has been floating around for a while, as I wrote it for Bill (my husband) for his first Father's Day as a Daddy. Mahala was about 8 months old, and he took her on their first Daddy-Daughter date - to an old Godzilla movie She came back from that experience and launched into a time of roaring never matched by any of her younger siblings. So anyway, since Father's Day was not too far off, and Bill likes the blues, I wrote this song for him for the occasion.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Dadzilla
Dadzilla pro.not (220.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

The .not file here is only part of the song that is recorded at www.soundclick.com/beanfield_castle What is labeled in the .not as the "melody" track is not pitch-corrected, but is rhythmically pretty close, and I only put it in to help me keep my place a little easier as I was adding and editing things like the piano and brass.

Speaking of these parts, once again they are the "hack and hone" method - I used my Casio keyboard to record in the rhythms into Composer Pro, and then went in and adjusted the pitches that were incorrect (I'm getting better at getting some of them right the first time ) For the recording that I made, I actually only used the drums, the right hand piano, and the brass, which were all soundfonts.

I tried using the GPO trumpet(s), but they sounded too nice for what I wanted I'm not totally happy with the brass, however, so it needs some work. Any suggestions for soundfonts, or other manipulations that can make the horns work better? I'm thinking perhaps a little portamento slide off the ending. I could also use a few pointers for the attacks and such, too. As I said, these parts are just me trying to hack them in and then fix them, so I'm quite open to suggestions from those who know more than me about playing the actual instruments!

I'm also thinking of adding the bass walking line back in for the choruses, and if I do I'll probably record them from a real bass as opposed to using a synth for that, unless someone has a killer bass soundfont they know of, or other suggestions for a nice punchy tone.

For the recording at my soundclick site, I actually used my soundcard to record the drums, brass and piano part while playing it in Composer Pro, then I recorded another file with the guitar part (my trusty Taylor 812), and another with the vocals (that'd be me), and yet more short ones with the roars (those are my kids ), and then put those all together in Cubasis to render the final .wav file. I then clipped out the quiet front and end with my Creative Wave Studio software, and saved the mp3 for uploading. As I said, it's rough (it's not even in true stereo ), but I find it helps me to hear how things are falling in place (or out) if I do this kind of rough mix, then listen, then re-work it.

ttfn,
Sherry