Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Editing straight 8ths to swing 8ths

Hi Friends,

I had forgotten about this nifty little feature til I found myself recently using it copiously for some sheet music I'd scanned in, and have been using to woodshed for the big band I'm playing in (bass - boatloads of fun!).

If you have a piece of music where you have straight 8ths and want to convert them to "swing", you can do the following:

1. click-drag to select the two notes.
2. on the Notes and Rests/Note palette, click on the "Swing triplet" button.
3. click-drag to select the notes, then click the Piano Roll tab, and click the "Snap as-performed attack to as-notated". This step can be done after all the triplet pairs are transformed from step 2 above.

This changes the notation AND the performance of that pair to "swing". The notation is in "standard" format, though, so the triplets show.

Don't want your score cluttered up with all the triplet stuff? You can keep the swing performance (which I need for my ears to hear while I practice these pieces) but have the score keep the straight-8ths look by using Format/Retranscribe, and selecting "Swing". If you're going to do this, you want to do it early on in the process because the Retranscribe command will lose all annotations (eg. text, cresc. markings, etc.)

I mention this because we've had some folks ask about it at the helpdesk, and I kept forgetting to share the info here in the forum.

Enjoy!
Sherry

Last edited by Sherry C; 04-25-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added the piano roll step