Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior User

Default Latest file won't open

Help!
Tried to open the piece I've been working on all summer, hopeful of finishing a complete draft. Got the message "File Thou Voice of My Heart, Nelly X could not be opened according to the expected format.
"If this file was save by another user of a more recent version of Notation, then you should check for the availability of a free update...etc."

I have been using 2.52 (don't change horses crossing a river). All other files open as they should.
Finally, I updated to 2.61. However my mididev.cfg of 87KB was GONE, replaced by one of 19KB which had only General Midi and MS Wavetable set as the default.
I tried pasting the 87 KB mididev.cfg that I saved last night into the Composer director, after renaming the 19 KB one, but it stripped the 87 KB down to 19 KB, and I was faced with at least a couple hours of typing my banks and all the patches.

I restored my computer to an earlier date, hoping that the file I am (was) working on would open again. No such luck. Same message.

My question is how do I either get the file (than noone was working on in a later version to open), or get my banks and patches without a lot of typing?

One interesting note. While 2.61 was installing, Threatfire popped up a message that the current process was attempting to manipulate the computer in the manner of a virus or malware. I allowed the process to proceed thinking it would be just part of the installation. That may be when my banks and patches got wiped out.

The question, however, is the one in the paragraph above the last.

all best,
mgj