Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Ties Across Repeats, etc.

I've wrestled with this problem ever since I was introduced to Notation Composer. In the past, I've managed to finagle a workaround that while not ever pretty, at least conveys the purpose.

Whenever I have a tied note across a repeat or a D. S. or a Coda, I have to put a temporary note of the same pitch in the next sequential (not next logical) measure, fashion the tie, trying to keep a decent shape, by dragging the right end anchor (both ends for a D. S. or a Coda in the from and to measures) back as close to the bar line as possible. See the end of measure 9 in the attached snippet.

If you look at the snippet in full screen view, the ties in measure 9 look funny, but understandable. BUT, when you look at page view (as I do for printing), the ties look like someone scribbled on the score. Notice in both views that the right end of the manipulated tie is visible in measure 10 - more so in the page view.

So, has anyone out there come up with a "better way to do this"? It might be that this example is a problem because of where the notes fall on the staff.

I really need a "tie to nowhere" that starts at the last note in the measure and ends at the bar line (or conversely, starts at a bar line and ends at the first note).

Help!

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Let Me Be There.not (13.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Ties Across Repeats, etc.

Hi, Ralph:

The interesting thing about working on problems you bring to the forum, Ralph, is that it forces me to re-think the ways I've been using Composer all these years.

Behaviour of slurs across pages and on repeats has been a long-standing problem and, I thought, one without an easy solution. But I started looking at the tools presented and found a way around your particular problem!

If you see the attached version of your Let Me Be There.not, you'll see that I deleted your original slurs (representing ties) and added new ones -- not, originally, on the note I want to be "tied", but at an earlier starting point. I then moved the end of the slurs to about the length of the space between the final eighth notes in the bar and the actual barline.

Then, I did something astonishing: I took my hand off the mouse and used the arrow keys to move the slur in small increments until it was where I needed it! (I'm saying this not in sarcasm, but in surprise -- in all these years, I've never done that. )

For the best result, I flipped the tie on the B in bars 1-2, as the placement of the slur in bar 9 looked best as a "below" slur.

For playback (as opposed to live performance) purposes, the best solution I can think of is in the attached Let Me Be There solution 2.not. It plays properly and the tied notes sound right.

For slurs across pages, I have taken to using two: one from the start of the slur to the barline at the end of the page and a second "stub" from the beginning barline of the next page to the ending note of the slur. With care, I am able to get them to look right.

Also, it is usually possible to use Page Format to move bars so that the slurs don't extend across the page break. (Not the problem you're having, I know.)

However, I think the change I made will work for you.

So, the lesson to us all is: don't use the sledge hammer when the jeweller's peen is right beside you.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not Let Me Be There.not (13.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: not Let Me Be There solution 2.not (13.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Ties Across Repeats, etc.

David, you are (and Mark was) a genius. I implemented your suggestion and it worked like a charm! I had always started the slur with the note I was targeting - never one to the left.

I had tried to use the arrow keys on slurs long ago, and as it moves the entire slur, I rejected it as not suiting my purpose at that time - and never went back. It certainly does the trick in this case. And, I usually ++++ to make the measures bigger, for more ease in manipulation.

Now I wish I had grumped about this long ago - you certainly would have saved me a lot of frustration!

Many thanks!

Ralph