Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default This is a rough draft of the t

This is a rough draft of the tune I was working on (Band file.not) that I had the copy and paste problems with. It is the result of some experimenting I had been doing with orchestration. It needs a lot of work and some extending, but I had spent so much time on it, I started another project that will take me months to complete and I will probably shelf this for a while to explore some other avenues. In the meantime, maybe someone can give me some ideas on better harmonies. Sherry, this is another one for the kids to dance!
Fred
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Swing
Hit Me Wit' It.not (404.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Fred, Your GM MIDI orche

Hi Fred,

Your GM MIDI orchestration for this Big Band piece is quite nice!

I'm afraid I don't know the Big Band repertoire. Is this a popular tune that you arranged from scratch? Or, did you compose this?

Sherry's on vacation for two weeks, pretty far away from the Internet.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Hi Mark Thanks! I was a littl

Hi Mark
Thanks! I was a little concerned because there is not a whole lot of harmony. It's not a popular song that I know of. It is more an extension of a lot of old "riffs" that we played mainly as backups while jamming in the 1950's. I had trumpet, trombone and tenor in my band and we did a lot of sitting in at the after hours bars on 8th Ave. in NYC. That is where a lot of the players from some of the bands of that era used to come in after a gig and let off some steam.

Where the heck can you go to get far from the Internet?? I need to find that place!

Fred
Old 04-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Fred, So, what you're s

Fred,

So, what you're saying is that you wrote this piece out of musical ideas in your head from 50 years ago?(!) In most ways, that's better than a recording from the era, since it's coming out of a head from the era. This is quite cool.

How did you get the music into Composer? Did you record them from your MIDI keyboard, one track at a time? Or, did you click in the notes with a mouse.

My understanding is that Big Band Swing is having a revival these days. My 19-year old daughter recently went to a swing dance with a young man who is quite serious about it.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM

Default HI Mark, I guess you could s

HI Mark,
I guess you could say that. I used that stuff for the next 25 years or so though, so I suppose you could say the memory only goes back about 28 years to when I stopped playing the sax (1978). I started to study piano in 1985 and my teacher was also a part of that same period. I now enter notes with the mouse a lot more than usual lately. Everything is first built with the keyboard. I often just run a few bars over and over until I get them almost perfect, then the cut and paste comes into play. The ear is still in pretty good shape and I don't find it difficult to enter the notes without even going to the piano sometimes. The solos are always done on the keyboard, however. Once I have the piano entered, the other tracks come from that. It's a ton of fun, but requires a whole lot of editing. Mark, I haven't found anything yet that can't be done with your software music wise. It's amazing! It took a while to get the hang of the editing, but I learn something new every day that helps to shorten the time. Composer is the reason I have finally gotten out of the meaningless rut I have been in the last 10 years. Thanks to you for all of that!!
Fred
Old 04-08-2006, 07:28 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Brings back memori

Hi Fred,

Brings back memories. The last radio-but-no-TV-yet years and the pile of 78's my parents had and nights a baby sitter didn't know bed time meant radio off time and, of course, the broadcasts on New Year's Eve during those years.

I switched the midi device to the hardware synth, saved it as a.mid file and played in WMP, with repeat on, while I wrote some letters and edited photos I made of the "pin-up" portrait from a steamer trunk from an even earlier era.

The "ideas about better harmonies" comment leaves me wondering a bit, as does the later one about "not a whole lot of harmony." I am wondering what you have in mind. I don't know as I'd want to change much. Could it be that adding clarinets, and maybe a bass clarinet, to the mix, and adding another trombone to play in the lower register, would flesh out the sound in a way that would remove the harmony concern? Just an idea.

Can the triplet 32nds in the second, sixth, etc., measures really be played that fast?

It's been a while since I listened to my Big Band tapes. I will be digging them out directly.

I enjoyed (and enjoying) this. I hope you don't shelve it for too long.

Oh, the reason I changed the midi device is that MS Wavetable sounds awful on my computer. When I can think of where in the forum to put it, I will one day see if anyone has any thoughts on the different sounds produced by midi devices.

all best,
mgj

Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Hi MG, That's quite a com

Hi MG,
That's quite a compliment_ Thank You!
Quote:Brings back memories. "The last radio-but-no-TV-yet years and the pile of 78's my parents had and nights a baby sitter didn't know bed time meant radio off time and, of course, the broadcasts on New Year's Eve during those years".
How about some more memories? I fully remember sitting on the bed with my brother, sister, mom and dad listening to these on the radio:
Inner Sanctum ( The slowly opening creaky door ), The Shadow (Who knows?...The Shadow knows), Gangbusters, the Green Hornet ( I even remember the music theme ), Amos N' Andy, Digger O'dell (The friendly undertaker), etc., etc.
Quote: "Can the triplet 32nds in the second, sixth, etc., measures really be played that fast"?
Yes, they are not distinctly played triplets. Basically, they are "ghost notes" ( made by sliding your thumb nail up or down the keyboard..can also be done on the horn).
Harmony? Most of what I have done is simply notes in unison or octaves, with occasional 3rds in the tenor part. I thought it could use a few 5ths and 7ths there also. Yes, I considered and will probably later add some more depth. I thought about using the tuba, as well as another trombone, baritone or bass clarinet. Thanks for the ideas!
BTW, I probably won't shelve it that long. I started on a Concerto and it took me 2 days to write 4 bars. That one may have to be done little by little over the next 20 years. Now, I am thinking of a country tune ( I want to learn how to play the harmonica )... hee, hee! Ain't this stuff fun?
Fred
Old 04-09-2006, 08:34 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I'd have to ad

Hi Fred,

I'd have to add Sky King, Captain Midnight, Jack Benny, and Fibber McGee and Molly, as the "thundering hoof-beats of the great horse Silver" echo over the plains....The worst thing about the loss of radio dramas is that it was kind of a bowflex for the imagination.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I thought about using the tuba, as well as another trombone, baritone or bass clarinet<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Did big bands have tubas? I can't remember and I haven't got out my tapes yet. If not, they should have. I'm pretty sure horns weren't staples of many bands, though I can think of a lot of songs where their tone color would have worked--A Nightengale Sang in Berkeley Square, We'll Meet Again...

Why not have 3 or 4 trombones--trumpets, too? And saxophones, while you're at it? At least in the midi version, you don't have to worry about finding the human counterparts.

I thought it could use a few 5ths and 7ths there also<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

It will be interesting to hear where you go with this. There are already some Ab/G and D/E, etc., combinations, which add very brassy coloration.

Ain't this stuff fun?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<chuckle> If 4 bars in 2 days is fun, then "Hit Me Wit' It" must have been like rolling out the barrel. Good luck with the harmonica. Years ago, I had great fun with one and, occasionally, wish I knew where that thing was.

This stuff is, at the least, a lesson that frustration can be a part of fun--I am well into extensive revision of the ragtime movement of the symphony that I posted a week ago, thinking ah! finally it's done.

all best,
mgj
Old 04-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Hi MGJ, Nah! I don't thin

Hi MGJ,
Nah! I don't think there were big bands with tubas, except for The Canadian Brass. However, when you are using MS GS Wavetable Synth, you have to take some liberties. Although it is probably not as bad as its reputation, that card does leave a little to be desired. The reeds are especially horrible. If you don't keep them in the low register, they don't sound at all like what they are. The saxes all sound alike. When I hit the lottery, I'll get GPO and a better sound card.

Yeah, 4 bars in 2days is a ton of fun, especially since I completely changed it afterwards anyway. I don't know how I missed the symphony you posted last week. I'll look for it today.
Take care,
Fred
Old 04-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Hi MG, Wow! Your are one grea

Hi MG,
Wow! Your are one great artist, MG! I found myself having to go back and continue listening to your various movements. I could not identify any specific familiarity in "The Echos", except that I could not get Scott Joplin out of my mind. I don't think you have any worries about duplicating someone else's efforts. The familiarity ends with the style, not a specific song. If there are any similarities, it seems they are your own. I often have that feeling of familiarity and I find myself raising a 4th, 5th or 6th just to try and change the direction. I don't see a problem including the piano in that movement. I really like everything I've heard. Your music is awesome!
Fred
Old 04-10-2006, 09:36 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Thanks, glad you l

Hi Fred,

Thanks, glad you liked it.

I actually listed, at one sitting, to Joplin's complete works, including Tremonisha, and didn't hear any clones. It will be interesting to hear what you think after I finish tinkering with the ragtime movement. I have added a bass trombone (partly because I wouldn't want to give a tuba player a stroke) and am working mostly on countermelodies in the bass register.

all best,
mgj
Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Hi Mg, What have you got agai

Hi Mg,
What have you got against tuba players? They look so cute in those short pants and suspenders!
Fred
Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Nothing against tu

Hi Fred,

Nothing against tuba players (or is that tubists). I'm just concerned that I demanded six minutes of playing, mostly loud, without much rest, I'd become a tubisticide. And I need them again later. Besides it gives another trombonist something to do, the way I've re-written it.

The last thing I need to consider is the celesta. Unless there have been technical improvements in the 50 years since I leared the little I know about the instrument, it would be drowned out in certain passages. (Midi can be deceptive that way, because you can make an instrument play louder than it is able to.) So I'm tinkering with the idea of adding bells for some passages and adding the triangle to reinforce the celesta. Neither idea seems good at the moment. So, I scratch my head and keep on thinking.

all best,
mgj