Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Old 05-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Steve K

Default I hope you will be as excited

I hope you will be as excited as I am about this. I can't even believe what I just did with this wonderful program!

I had an inspiration to arrange the beautiful Faure Pavanne as a piece featuring the bassoon, by taking the melodies from flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and viola and playing them all on the bassoon. First I used MidiNotate to print those five parts on one score, naturally changing clefs and octaves to suit the bassoon. Next I printed this. Then I used a highlighter on the printout to mark what I was going to play from each part.

I envisioned a very complex process, wherein I would record a separate wave file for each part, put them back together with n-track, and silence each part where I was playing the bassoon. Then I realized I could use a midi sequencer to silence them selectively and create a new midi. Except I don't have a midi sequencer. I am waiting for MidiComposer.

But then I discovered I could do it all with MidiNotate, by just deleting from each line the notes I was going to play! It was easy, since these were just the notes I had highlighted from my MidiNotate printout. I brought the same parts up on the screen again, and breezed right through. It only took about half an hour, and I was ready with a very complex "Midi Minus One" version of this piece.

Quite easy to use Acoustica (also great software) make a wav file recording of MidiNotate's "performance," and I'm all set. Burn a CD any time to make it very portable. And, best of all, it's really beautiful! This is so satisfying. Thanks again, Mark!
Old 05-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Steve, you're finding some

Steve, you're finding some creative uses of MidiNotate that I didn't anticipate. You are definitely a "power user" of MidiNotate.

I think most people using MidiNotate will find lots of satisfaction using its every-day features. But you are not the only one who has told me about some very interesting off-the-beaten path ways to use MidiNotate.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 05-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Steve K

Default Mark, I appreciate that coming

Mark, I appreciate that coming from the author of this work. But let me make a point about the brilliance of MidiNotate. My "power user" status after about a week with MidiNotate comes from only two things: my knowledge of musical notation, and maybe a little basic creativity. It does NOT come from a knowledge of MIDI, which I barely begin to understand, nor even from a great knowledge of MidiNotate's features, which I also know only a small subset of.

So it's really you, the author, that has created an emPOWERing product, by focusing, as you've explained, on basically one simple objective, and implementing it WELL and DEEPLY. This is lacking in SO MANY software products I see.

At the end of the day, I just used a couple of very simple features -- extract parts, delete notes. Wonderful things can be done with simple tools when the tools do just exactly what you expect them to do, down to the nth level. Cheers to you, Mark -- please count me as one of your fans.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi, Steve Your words about Mi

Hi, Steve
Your words about MidiNotate bring me much pleasure, and do motivate me to maintain focus and integrity in the purpose and user interface of MidiNotate and its upcoming big brother, MidiNotate Composer.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Derek Sanders (derek_sanders)

Default Mark, I have been using midino

Mark, I have been using midinotate to create arrangements for a 10 piece seniors accordion band, our average age is in the low 70's and I have to cater for all levels of skills. I choose a piece and pull as many midi files of that piece as I can find from the internet, notate them and play them all through noting the parts of each midi that I might find useful. I then eliminate all the parts I won't need. I try them all in various keys. Once the key is set I put all the midis into that key, I then extract all the parts I need from each midifile and print them out, I then edit out all the notes I don't need and eliminate repeated parts. I then copy all the parts I have left into 'Print Music' and create a conductor's score, I then start adding 'Fill-ins' and any other decorative notes I may dream up, I add 1st and 2nd time bars where necessary and any trios or codas where required.As I am only using one kind of instrument i.e. the accordion I use only one instrument in the playback mode. I use the piano because there is no accordion in 'Print Music'.I play it back slowly many times before I am happy with it and do quite a bit of final editing before I extract all the seperate parts, each part is then re-checked and printed out only when I am satisfied with it.I leave all the dynamics to the band leader to do what she feels she wants with it,she also sets whatever switches she wants the various parts to be played at. I have to tell you that every arrangement I have done using your programme has won us a 1st place award...I am now looking at ways where I can use your programme more and 'Print Music' less........TTYL....Derek Sanders.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:14 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Derek, It's fun t

Hello Derek,

It's fun to hear how you are using MidiNotate to arrange scores for your accordian band. Please consider submitting a couple of your favorite arrangements to the Share Your Music section of this forum!

Cheers
-- Mark