Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Maveryth

Default Deleting instruments (Not.Musician)

Hello,

I am unable to find an option with `Notation Musician` to delete entire instruments.

I´m trying to learn to play songs on the piano by using `Notation Musician` to convert midi into music notes. Only some songs have so many instruments wich makes it impossible to show the appropriate instruments for the piano on one screen. The zooming out just makes the notes harder to read so that aint an option.

Since you can delete notes with "Notation Musician" I assumed it would be possible to remove an entire instrument from the sheet, but I don't seem to be able to find this option.

Does anybody know where I can find this option if it is even available for "Notation Musician"? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me if "Notation Musician" had this option and to buy Notation Composer just for this reason feels more like a waste of money.

To summarize: Where can I find the option to delete an instrument with "Notation Musician"?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Deleting instruments (Not.Musician)

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveryth View Post
Hello,

I am unable to find an option with `Notation Musician` to delete entire instruments.

I´m trying to learn to play songs on the piano by using `Notation Musician` to convert midi into music notes. Only some songs have so many instruments wich makes it impossible to show the appropriate instruments for the piano on one screen. The zooming out just makes the notes harder to read so that aint an option.

Since you can delete notes with "Notation Musician" I assumed it would be possible to remove an entire instrument from the sheet, but I don't seem to be able to find this option.
Thanks for trying out Notation Musician!

There are a nuber of different options for showing, hiding, and/or muting instruments/staves. How you do it will depend on what your goals are.

If you want to just have the piano as a "piano reduction" (without other instruments, just playing piano), then you can use Part/Prepare Piano Reduction. The Wizard will walk you through the steps to select which staves you want to include in a piano score. It sometimes takes a little experimentation to get the right mix of which staves to include in the reduction (it will depend on the file you're starting with), but it's a really handy way to get a two-hand piano score from a multi-instrument file. The other instruments get muted when you do this, and all you would hear is the piano reduction.

If you want to play an existing piano or keyboard part that is included within a multi-instrument file, then you can have just the two-hand piano part showing. When you open a .mid (MIDI file) that has a piano or keyboard track in it, Musician will recommend that it be split into right and left hand staves. (Most piano tracks are sequenced as just a single piano track.) If you accept that recommendation, then you will see a two-hand piano part on the score, with a brace between them. Now, if you go to the Part drop list on the Menu bar and click the button, you'll see a part listed as "Piano". You can click that, and now all you will see is just the two-hand piano part. You'll still hear all the instruments (unless you mute them) but you'll only see the piano part.

If you want to have another instrument show along with the two-hand piano part, then you can use Part/Display or Define Part to create exactly the kind of Part you want, which shows only the staves you want to see.
1. Click Part/Display or define part.

2. In the Define Parts dialog, click the "Add Part" button at the bottom.

3. Enter a name for your Part.

4. In the right-hand panel, select the staves you want to show in the part.

5. Click the "Display Part and Exit" button, then the "Yes" button to save the newly entered Part.
Now you'll have the two-hand piano and the other staff/staves you selected, and no other ones. Again, you'll still hear all the instruments, but only see the staves you included in your special part.

If you really want to totally delete the other instruments so you don't hear or see them, you can do it using the Staff/Setup. Just click on a staff to select it, then use the Delete button on the right. But be aware that this is a one-way operation.

There are lots of other things you can do with displaying only certain staves. You can select any single staff part from the Part drop list on the Menu bar. To read about all the different things you can do with Parts, you can use Help/Users Guide, and then the Index to look up "part". There are lots of options for showing and hiding staves as well; just look up "staff" in the Users Guide. There are lots of possibilities

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Maveryth

Default Re: Deleting instruments (Not.Musician)

Thank you very much for the information.