Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Active User

Default Chord Problem

Hi there
I am a newbee to this site and would be very thankful for some help on a problem that I am having with using Notation Composer. I will explain the situation.
I am a keyboard player and I download MIDI files from the internet from which I require a print out of a Lead Sheet which in turn contain two items, the main single notes of the melody and the appropriate chords for same. How I have been trying to do this up to now is by selecting whatever instrument is providing this in the MIDI and then selecting the "Fake Book Lead Sheet" option and completing the further selection options. Now this provides me with exactly what I want in the note section of the sheet, however, in the display of chords I am only getting about 20 percent of the correct chords being shown, the rest are in no way compatible to the music.
I have tried every combination of alternative selections from the menu to try and improve this but so far have had no luck in improving this. I can certainly understand that the selection of chords provided by the program may or can not be perfect and will need adjusted to some extent, however, I find that with the selection of chords that I am getting at the moment it is easier to remove them all and try and figure out the correct chords. Now not being a professional musician I find this most difficult and time consuming.
I feel that perhaps I am not going about this the correct way and perhaps am selecting the wrong options to achieve what I am looking for. Perhaps there is someone who knows or has discovered the best way to do this and I would be most thankful for any help in this area.