Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 AM
jameswadewilson

Default Drumset notation

I've been looking for notation software for drumset, but so far I've spent a lot of time learning each software's entry methods only find that something just doesn't work.

So I've spent some time with Notation Composer today, but have yet to be able to make any drumset scores. I tried "Split Drums" command, but it didn't seem to work. Entering notation on split staves seems to be a bit difficult anyway.

If it did work this seems to be an awfully cumbersome way to do drum notation. Does anyone here use Notation Composer to do drumset scores regularly? When the drumset scores are unsplit are they easy to read?

I'm sure that I could figure this all out eventually, but don't want to invest the time and effort into learning another program that is to buggy or unwieldy to use.

Help! Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Drumset notation

Howdy,

Actually Composer doesn't currently have "real" 5-line drum notation. It uses a "pseudo-pitch" notation, that shows the pseudo-pitches for each drum instrument. The "split drums" feature makes it easier to see each instrument's line. It doesn't, however, take the place of the standard 5-line drum staff, which we do have scheduled for a future release.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Drumset notation

Hi,

I think you're referring to the difference between the MIDI pseudo-pitch mapping (which is what Notation Musician and Notation Composer currently do) and actual five-line drum staff notation locations (which Notation products currently don't do). Does this explain the discrepancy that you're seeing/hearing? If not, please include a file, the name of the device that you're using, and a description of what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks!
Sherry