Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Morning Mood Duet (Excerpt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Some of the pieces in this series are in keys that you might not see a lot in learning pieces. This was intentional to keep the Soprano part in the lower register. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR
"Morning Mood" is a selection from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt Suite No. 1". At times, it simply has been called "Morning". This is a piece that I have loved for a long time. My wife Cynthia, who is now three years plus into her Soprano Recorder playing career, was playing from a small collection of excerpts of well-known songs -- "Morning" was one of them. I decided to make a reduction from the full score of Grieg's piece into a duet for the two of us. This piece is somewhat a departure from those I've done before, in that it is more interactive, with the second voice, the Alto Recorder, taking a much more prominent part, as the two instruments interact with each other.

I have taken the liberty of leaving out a number of measures from the original, where in measure 38, I take a jump to the ending measures of the piece. I had thoughts of doing the entire piece, however, we like to keep our duets at no more than two pages, and to my ear, this seemed to be a logical place to skip to the end. I trust that Grieg won't roll over, and that the classical purists won't mind. It is, after all, an attempt to spread a little classical music around to people who might not otherwise come in contact with it.

Taking a piece written for a 16-piece orchestra and cutting it down to two voices is quite challenging. I tried to maintain the harmonic integrity of the piece, and to select the most important second voice in arranging this piece. Also, I have dropped the grace notes that Grieg used in a number of places in the main theme. Grieg's direction for tempo is a dotted quarter note = 60. I have several recordings of this piece, and the conductors chose to play it at a slower tempo. I agree, and have set the tempo at 45.

We hope that you will enjoy playing this piece as much as we do.

Ralph Rayner

Last edited by rrayner; 06-23-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Removed original file -- new file added.