Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default The older treat topic on Final

The older treat topic on Finale mentions that the only way to opent a .mus file in Composer is to convert .mus to midi first. Is there a product that'll do that conversion without having to buy a full Finale product?

that thread also spoke of impoting and exporting in MusicXML from Composer. What has happened to that?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Bill, To get a .mus f

Howdy Bill,

To get a .mus file into Composer, you would have to convert it to .mid first. I just did a quick search on ".mus to .mid", and there are other programs that use the .mus extension, so if you go looking for a tool, do be careful that it's for the right filetype!

Composer 2.0 does export .xml files now.

I'm not sure which discussion about MusicXML you're talking about (there have been a few). Try using the "Search" feature of the forum, and enter "MusicXML" or ".xml" to find the discussion you want to view.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default Hello Cherry, Bill. Somwher

Hello Cherry, Bill.

Somwhere in my dusty mind I can remember that its indeed discussed,
and Mark has in future developments planned to include
the .XML import function. This also would solve the problem
to export Finale files to XML and then import in Composer much better. May be Mark can comment on his priority for this function.

The advantage then should be that all kind of free text in the
Finale arrangement etc is exported also via XML and imported into Composer.

If there is no or few notes in the Finale arrangement, exporting via Midi and importing in Composer is certainly fine and can be done now. The only thing is that after importing in Composer you have to improve the layout a little at your own taste, but thats very easy in Composer.

Cheers Jaap
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default I think you missed the most im

I think you missed the most important part of my post - I don't have Finale, so I can't export to midi using it. I was hoping that there might be a conversion software means other that finale to do this or some the means to get a .mus file into composer. I don't mind if the midi product of the conversion is bare bones - I can work with it from there.

BillC
Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Bill, The extent of m

Howdy Bill,

The extent of my knowledge about this is posted above:
-------------
To get a .mus file into Composer, you would have to convert it to .mid first. I just did a quick search on ".mus to .mid", and there are other programs that use the .mus extension, so if you go looking for a tool, do be careful that it's for the right filetype!
-------------

I don't personally know of any tool, and I didn't find one in the first couple of pages of search results for ".mus to .mid".

Anybody else know of an inexpensive way to get a .mus (Finale) file to .mid?

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Bill, Have you checked t

Hi Bill,

Have you checked to see if Finale has a free player? You should be able to load the file into that and, perhaps, save the midi version.

all best,
mgj
Old 03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, That's a great s

Howdy,

That's a great suggestion MG, unfortunately, you can't even save as MIDI with their NotePad version.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Bill,

Hello Bill,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I don't have Finale, so I can't export to midi using it. I was hoping that there might be a conversion software means other that finale to do this or some the means to get a .mus file into composer.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Off hand, I don't know of a stand-alone tool that converts Finale .mus files to MIDI or MusicXML. Recordare.com develops and markets a Finale plug-in, named Dolet, that converts Finale to MusicXML. Finale's own bundled MusicXML import/export tool is a lite version of Recordare's Dolet plug-in. This doesn't help you, though, because the plug-in requires to you own a copy of Finale.

Perhaps there is a round-about way to get from Finale .mus files to MIDI files, via some other notation program. I don't know what other notation programs, other than Sibelius, that can import Finale .mus files. I sort of doubt that any other relatively inexpensive notation program directly imports Finale .mus files, but maybe there is one out there that does so. If you find out, let us know. In that case, you'd be able to convert the .mus to MIDI and then import the MIDI into Composre, with unfortunately loss of a lot of notation information including layout.

I've already started implementation of MusicXML import, but have set that work aside for a while to work on some even higher priority new features (not yet announced). Even then, however, with MusicXML import in Composer, you would still have the problem that you would not be able to convert the Finale .mus file to MusicXML unless you had a copy of Finale.

This raises a question: How is it that you have a Finale .mus file, without a copy of Finale? This suggests to me that you might have gotten the .mus file from some musical friend who created the .mus file with Finale. If that is the case, then maybe your friend would be willing to export the song from Finale as a MIDI file for you. Or, if the situation is different, maybe you can just find a friend who owns a copy of Finale who would be willing to convert the song to MIDI for you.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default Finale does have a player, Fin

Finale does have a player, FinaleNotepad, and free. but it only saves as .mus
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default Choral Public Domain Library,

Choral Public Domain Library, http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
has tons of music legally available. There are several formats on the site, but not all of them for any given title - .mus (Finale), .mid, .pdf (scores only), and .sib (Sibelious); .mus being the most common.

Myriad software, maker of Harmony Assistant, has a product to convert PDF to MusicXML that could be loaded. the .mus score can be saved from NotePad in PDF if you have the write printer driver installed (there are some available for free on the net that will print anything printable to a PDF file). But, PFDtoMusic cost $199.00. --- which I don't have. thought I'd share the info though. I've never used it so i cant say how good (or not so good) it is.

BillC
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Bill, I haven't t

Hello Bill,

I haven't tried out Myriad's PDF to MusicXML product, but I suspect it's pretty good, because Michael Good, the designer of MusicXML itself, resells just a few chosen MusicXML-capable products at his web site: his own Dolet plug-ins for Finale and Siblieus import/export of MusicXML, PDF to MusicXML by Myriad, a few others, and, of course, Notation Composer ;-)

Michael really likes Notation's MIDI-to-notation transcription, the preferred gateway from MIDI to notation or MusicXML.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Bill: You might be able

Hi, Bill:

You might be able to use a virtual midi port as a pipe between Finale Notepad and Composer and play the files, one channel at a time, directly into Composer.

A lot of work, I know, but better than nothing.

David
Old 03-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default OOOh, great idea. I have a loo

OOOh, great idea. I have a loop called LoopBe1.exe (I got it from from nerds.de). Composer sees it as a playback device but not as a midi recording device (even as NotePad is playing the .mus file). Got any ideas? I'm pretty deep in new waters here. Haven't yet even recorded anything "one channel at a time." But, I think you're on to something and this is the way I want to go. Thanks.

Bill
Old 03-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default Bill, How many of these fil

Bill,

How many of these files do you want to convert from Finale to Composer?

Jaap
Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Bill and David, Pipin

Hello Bill and David,

Piping the MIDI into Composer will unfortunately lose the rhythms, because Composer doesn't (yet) support MIDI sync.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-01-2007, 06:11 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Mark: Ah! Interesting.

Hi, Mark:

Ah! Interesting. I had thought that Composer supported Master mode sync.

I was actually going to post something last week about sync, as I've acquired some hardware that will only use Master mode, leaving me to sync up my software as slave (instead of vice versa which is what should happen.)

The hardware in question (a digital recorder) is going to become very important as we record a project with my wife's school and my son's band, so I'm going to have to come up with some devious workarounds to get the sounds where I want them.

David
Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello David, As Composer mo

Hello David,

As Composer moves into better support for sound sources, there will be more pressure for Composer to support MIDI sync. So, you probably won't have to wait many more months for this. Sorry it has taken so long.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Senior User

Default Re: Hello David, As Composer mo

I just found this old subject, but I am currently faced with the same problem: converting a mus file to a MIDI file so that I can work on it with composer. Is there any solution out there for this? Or would a finale user be willing to import the .mus file I have here and convert it to MIDI? That would be great.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Finale to midi converter so I can use in Composer

Hi,

I think you can do this with Finale's free Notepad editor. Just open up the .mus file (if it is backwards compatible) and then save as a .mid file.

You can download their Notepad (it's free) by registering at Finale's website (www.finalemusic.com) You'll need to go to their Download page, search for the "Notepad" product, and then you have to register with them before you can download it.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Hi,

I think you can do this with Finale's free Notepad editor. Just open up the .mus file (if it is backwards compatible) and then save as a .mid file.

You can download their Notepad (it's free) by registering at Finale's website (www.finalemusic.com) You'll need to go to their Download page, search for the "Notepad" product, and then you have to register with them before you can download it.

ttfn,
Sherry
To be honest: I don't want to install a new software (with the need of prior registration) and afterwards delete it....
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Howdy,

Get in touch with me directly

ttfn,
Sherry