Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Gang, I left my 146 piece

Hi Gang,
I left my 146 piece band at home and went to New Orleans with my little 7 piece group.
Hope you like it.
Cheers,
Fred
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Dixieland
Can You Hear Me Now.mid (60.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, It is hot and humi

Hi Fred,

It is hot and humid here, but it's not so bad if you can be transported via computer to Preservation Hall to hear a foot stomping hand clapping piece by the Dixie 7.

The trumpet/trombone/clarinet interaction is very nice, and I like the extended clarinet solo. I think the audience might keep you at it, though, with "one more time," again and again, until the piano man, the banjo, even the tuba got their solo licks in.

I've always loved Dixieland. Had several records back when I had 33's. Made tapes of most of them and they will get put on CD once I get this machine set up with something more sophisticated than the sound system that came with it.

I hear, I hear--and it's great fun.

best,
mgj
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Hi MG, Thanks again! I love D

Hi MG,
Thanks again! I love Dixieland, too. I lived directly across the street from the leader of the Baltimore Colts Marching Band. I was 9 years old in 1947, and he asked my mother if I could play in the band ( Clarinet ). There was no football team at that time. The old Baltimore Colts left in the mid 1940’s. Our uniform colors were green and silver. The new Colts football team did not come until 1954. The band stayed together that whole time (just as they did when the current NFL Colts left for Indiana and the band stayed together again until the Ravens came). I started with the marching band at age 9 and 2 years later became a part an offshoot Dixieland band, and I played with them for 6 years. We played on the trains taking the fans and the team to nearby games as far as New York. We passed the hat and made a ton of money. My first real job was with that band at a nightclub called the Paddock near Pimlico Race Track. I was only 14, but my mother let me play there because my parents were such good friends with the bandleader and he was my "chaperone". So my first real job with any band was playing Dixie. I left the Colt band in 1956 to go on the road with a Rock group. Needless to say, of all the band or orchestra compositions and arrangements I’ve done lately, this piece was the easiest ( about 2 and a half days ) and, probably, the most fun!

Cheers,
Fred

Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Here's a slightly edited v

Here's a slightly edited version of Can You Hear Me Now? I changed the banjo in the beginning and improved the end and a few velocity tweaks in the middle. The beginning sounded tinny and had to be changed. Sorry MG, no banjo solo. I hurt my finger. Somebody punched me in the nose.
Fred<center><table border=1><tr><td>Dixieland revised
Can You Hear Me Now.mid (59.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, How fun! I was

Howdy Fred,

How fun! I was just listening to my "Sheik and Sadie" CD the other day (made from an LP that I bought in 'Nawlins back when I traveled there for a neuroscience convention). This fits right in with the mood - it's hot here, too

Thanks, too, for sharing your musical history with us. You never cease to amaze me with your depth of experience And it shows, in a really good way, in your music.

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 07-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Thank you! I neve

Hi Sherry,
Thank you! I never would have thought 50 years ago (or even up to 5 yrs. ago) that all that experience would have a bearing on what I am doing now. Thank you, Mark, for that opportunity.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Sounds like as und

Hi Fred,

Sounds like as underaged teens in the same years, we were doing things we otherwise wouldn't have because of music, though your experiences sound a lot more exciting. To be playing in a night club with a Dixieland group at that age--wow! As a piano/theory student, also trying to learn a bit about tuning pianos, I was sometimes in night clubs, but always during the afternoon when my teacher, who also tuned the instrument he played so well, got it ready for its evening, late-night, wee hours use.

I don't know about leaving Dixieland for Rock and Roll...though, looking back, I find a lot more musical content in R&amp;R than what it evolved into when I was in college, and later. Those were interesting years in music, when you consider that you could tune in a radio--an AM radio, no less--if you knew which station and time of day, and get everything from big band, to jazz, to classical (overnight), though most of it was what you'd hear in the high school hang-outs.

The revision of "Can You Hear..." sounds as if one of the guy's foot kept tapping and they started over again. I forgot to remark, yesterday that, in both versions, now, you've somehow captured the sound of a live performance. If there are GM presets for hand claps, they'd fit right in as the audience got into the music.

all best,
mgj

Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Hi MG, Talking about doing th

Hi MG,
Talking about doing the things we normally would not do because of music, after 4 years on the road as a young musician I could probably write a book about as thick as "War and Peace". Actually, I left Dixieland for R&amp;R for the money. But it wasn't all R&amp;R, it was more a variety show group. In addition to the dance sets, we also did shows.We did a lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Three Dog Night, The BeeGees, Four Freshmen, etc., including comedy stints.

>quote: I forgot to remark, yesterday that, in both versions, now, you've somehow captured the sound of a live performance.

Yeah!, and I am totally surprised by that. I think cutting the size of the band did the trick on this one. It's funny though, I started trying to capture the sound of the old band, using the same instrumentation as the band at that time, and it sounded terrible. We used two tenor saxes, trumpet and trombone, bass, drums and either piano, guitar or organ and I can't get that instrumentation to sound good for some reason. I think the problem is the sax presets. Only the low ranges sound close. The higher ranges sound like violins, and everything sounds weak. I'll have to keep working on that. I did find that using tenor and alto sax together sounds a little better. BTW, there is a hand clap GM preset, but I've never tried it.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-21-2006, 08:24 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Your version of &#

Hi Fred,

Your version of "War and Peace" sounds like an interesting read ;) I sure wish you had those recordings of your group; love to hear it.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

We did a lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Three Dog Night, The BeeGees, Four Freshmen, etc., including comedy stints.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Over the years following my discovery of so-called classical music, which was '52 or '53, I became very selective in pop favorites, but the Four Freshmen and Three Dog Night were two of the main ones, as well as quite a few others and all the folk groups, during whose heyday in the late sixties through the mid seventies I was in college, where every bar had a group (frequently a Kingston Trio sound- AND look-alike).

Maybe I figured out one reason for the "live" feel. I noticed the note velocity in the piano and banjo chords in "Can You Hear Me Now" vary from, like 49 to 90. Midi allows you to set the velocity of every note in the chord the same, and that's more machine than human, so the variation could explain the "live" feel, at least to some extent.

Regarding the problem with the sound of some presets, I think maybe that's just GM presets, especially MS Wavetable SW synth. I really wish there was some way a person could edit and/or change the presets, but I guess that's not possible.

I'll look for that hand clap.

all best,
mgj

Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Hi MG, The "hand clap"

Hi MG,
The "hand clap" is D#-2 on the keyboard and D#-1 for midi in the drum kit. (It's actually pretty good)

Ref: Dial-up

My residential phone# just qualified yesterday for Verizon DSL (by order of a Verizon big shot). It is $14.95 per month. If you check verizon.com/dsl you can enter your phone number to see if it is available. My son and I are the only two in this area that can get it, and that is because my son knows the big shot. If it shows you can not get it, that doesn't really mean you can't if you know somebody. (or somebody who knows somebody). The lines are usually in place in a lot of areas, but Verizon does not offer the service until it is available for a whole large area. I ordered it yesterday, and it should be ready for use by 8/3 for both of my computers. I was paying $9.95 for dial-up and the $5 difference will be well worth it. Plus it includes Virus protection, firewall and all that good stuff free. So the extra $5 means I won't have to pay $65 a year for Norton. Check it out!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-22-2006, 06:03 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I've spent sev

Hi Fred,

I've spent several hours checking out DSL. You are fortunate to be able to take advantage of Verizon. I tried to check availability on-line and got nothing, so tried their OH sales number, where I was told mine wasn't a Verizon number and I'd have to check with my phone company, which is AT&amp;T. It is more expensive, but still what I'd save by taking out the second phone line would make it worthwhile, except that it's not available here. I dont' even know that the lines are up to what they need to be. Nothing like living in the sticks.

I will try adding the clapping at the point in the music I think the audience might be most likely to join in and see how it sounds. Might be fun.

Congrats on your new speed!

all best,
mgj