Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2006, 08:37 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Dr. Kalve, Yes, quite lovel

Dr. Kalve,

Yes, quite lovely. But the piano doesn't do it justice, even with lots of pedal. I tried using the choir ahhs and following the dynamic instructions, and the atmospherics seem enhanced quite a bit, though whether the emotional content is reflective, sorrowful, hopeful, etc., will depend to some extent on musical context, and perhaps the words, if any are intended.

That war and its era produced or inspired a lot of research and excellent writing, from Sandburg's biography of Lincoln to Bruce Caton's trilogy; "The Red Badge of Courage" to "Gone with the Wind," and of course Foote's volumes.

It also produced a lot of music, which I've enjoyed for years. Some of it is heard frequently, but most of it is not heard much any more, if at all, and I haven't seen reference to a new recording of any for quite some years. I have wondered why no one has done a full symphonic work using songs of the era, and particularly the war, as thematic stuff. I don't know the answer to that, but I've tinkered with the idea, and would avoid the familiar, like "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Dixie," in favor of songs such as "Poor Kitty Popcorn," "We Are Coming Father Abraham," and "Tenting on the Old Campground."

...Which is off the subject. I enjoyed the theme and would look forward to hearing it in context.

all best,
mgj