Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > General music tips and questions

General music tips and questions Ask questions or share tips about instruments, playing, writing music, or other music-related topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Shuffle Beat

I have expanded the sample Notation file below by 8 measures. The first 8 measures are the same as the previous file. In the second 8 measures, I am trying a suggestion made by fellow Forum contributor, Herbert, in the "Swing Feel" thread at:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30356

Herbert pointed out that the way I write my drum parts with the Hi-hat directly on the beat (a=0), that the Hi-hat sound is getting swallowed up by the other drum notes that are a=0, as is the case in this original sample with the brush on snare playing directly on the beat. Herbert suggested that the Hi-hat could be anticipated a little bit without disrupting the rhythm as a whole.

In the second 8 measures, all is the same as in the first 8 measures, with the exception that all Hi-hat sounds have a attack of -40 ticks (a-40). With this change, the Hi-hat now can be clearly heard.

Thank you, Herbert.

Ralph