Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2006, 06:10 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Lee, When I said it migh

Hi Lee,

When I said it might be impossible to use the card I installed in my old computer in the new one (it's an Audigy 2 Zs), it's a compatibility problem that I fear. When I ordered the new computer, the options were the built-in Sigmatel or the OEM version of SoundBlaster's X-fi Xtreme Music card. I tried to order the latter, but was told that with 4 GB of memory it would cause a conflict. Tech support said only that it would be a motherboard issue. So I could have either the built-in with 4 GB of memory or the X-fi card with 3 GB. Since my concern was composition rather than gaming, I went for the former...only to find out it did not have two hardware synths. This means that I am limited to 16 midi channels.

I can install the Audigy 2 Zs (then download the 100MB of updates), and turn off the on-board audio controller. That part is straight forward. It's the potential for incompatibility that I fear. Thanks for the link--I will certainly take a look. I'm also about to contact Dell and Creative support to see what I can find out about any problems people have had with my card and the system I bought.

All of this with fingers crossed, of course...

I have heard about two cards in the same computer and looked into it a little when I bought the Audigy 2 Zs for the old computer and had problems with it. It turned out the card was defective, so a replacement was sent, which worked well. So I never got very far with the two card solution. In the current computer, there is only one expansion slot, so it's really not an option. The USB external card isn't an option, either, since I sunk every dollar I had available into the computer; so I'll have to get the Audigy 2 Zs in and working or just make do with the on-board audio.

Regarding your compatibility problem: it would seem that Turtle Beach should replace your USB card with one that works with Win XP Pro, or update the drivers, or at the very least, return you money so that you can get a compatible external card.

Thanks again,
all best,
mgj