Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Canyon de Chelly, Wedding Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Howdy,

I ran across this page (again) that is very helpful in showing the "normal" range of a number of instruments. Of course it's for standard tunings of string intruments (including guitars) and thus won't account for some of the weird and wonderful things that folks can do with them. But it's quite useful nonetheless.

http://solomonsmusic.net/insrange.htm

Enjoy!
Sherry
Hi Sherry,
Very helpful. This is the first one of these I've seen, on line or in a book, that shows voices, timpani, guitar, etc., as well as the complete orchestra. You're right about the fact that these lists don't take the individual into consideration. Bonnie Jo Hunt (coloratura) could hit and sustain A6 (IPN), at least the last time I heard her sing operatically, when she would have been in her late 40s. I have seen only one list that even mentions that great individual variation is possible--I think it used trumpet and voice as examples. I was a little nonplussed by the given banjo range I am going to have to re-write a lot of portions of the oratorio, unless I can re-verify that there is a banjo with an extra half string used for quite high notes. But with the soundclick 10mb limit, a lot is underorchestrated, anyhow, and that shouldn't be too difficult except for handling an often repeated figure which features Bb 4 and almost has to remain there so other parts aren't adversely affected.

BTWm Section VII, Weariness, of the oratorio will get to SC, probably tomorrow evening sometime, as well as to the forum.

Thanks again for the URL,
all best,
mgj