Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Active User

Wink separation of closely-adjacent notes

Hallo

I'm working with a midi file from the Internet which is clearly a midi-recording, not a keyboard entry file - trying to derive a score to play from myself.
The piece makes a feature of hammering-on in the melody, and sometimes in the chording. The two notes are always clearly not simultaneous, though very close. Composer always (ie with any variation of controls I've been able to find) renders them as simultaneous in the staff notation.
Given there is actually a sequential element somewhere in the midi record (or we would hear them as simultaneous ?) is there a setting in the transcription or quantise options that will produce a visual separation in the notation ?

Many thanks

Ian G.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: separation of closely-adjacent notes

Hi Ian,

For this specific case a posted file would be helpful.

There are some things you can try to play around with to see if it gives you the transcription you want.

In Setup/Transcription Options:

• check the "Remove Overlaps of Notes" option.
  • under "Remove Rests Smaller Than..." check the "Do Not Remove Rests".
  • under "Transcribe Ornaments", check "Grace notes."
  • near the bottom, check the box for "Two-notes chords in a staff that has mostly solo notes should be sequenced as two separated notes."
If those don't help, you can then try using Format/Convert to solo notes, and select the staves that you want to use the command on.

If those don't help, please do post the file or a part of it for us to take a look at it.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Active User

Thanks for your reply, Sherry. The first three I had tried. The fourth ("Two-notes chords in a staff that has mostly solo notes should be sequenced as two separated notes.") I hadn't, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Since it's one screen back from the action (as you say, available by the Setup route, but not in the Format>retranscribe screen), I can't tell whether it is actually in effect.

The 'Convert to solo notes' (actually on the Staff menu) does work, but rather patchily. Sometimes I am able to isolate/select a single instance and it retranscribes correctly as a grace note and main note. Sometimes it doesn't. And on other occasions again, I am asked to select the staff, and it then processes the whole staff too enthusiastically, rendering some straight notes as grace notes.

To be fair, it is a very 'dirty' bit of playing. Clearly the player has in places not released notes promptly, and my impression is that the resulting ties complicate the 'conversion'. So probably you shouldn't waste much time on it - it is one of those instances where slow manual editing instance by instance is the only way. You can also see that though the pulse is correct, the time-signature isn't, and I have made a start of re-editing that but not completed the process. I think the whole thing should really be in 6/8 - ie a sort of blues shuffle.

Cheers

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: mid babygran-oct16.mid (14.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Ian,

Have you tried using the ReBar feature? That may help the transcription as well. You can see a Tutorial Video on how to use it at http://notation.com/TutorialVideos.php (cleverly titled "Rebar" ). You can also read more about it in Help/Users Guide, and use the Index to look up "Rebar".

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Active User

Hallo again, Sherry, and thanks for your further reply. I'm posting a *.not of the edit I've achieved.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: not babygrandblues1016-see.not (171.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM

Hi Ian,

Nothing to do with your questions, but I love the chord progressions in the piece you selected. The moving lines are beautiful. Do you know who the composer is?

Ralph Rayner