Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 AM
dan2

Default Android Application

I recently purchased an Android tablet and would love to be able to use it to compose music while I'm out and about. I've searched everywhere for anything I could use to do this, but alas, there are none to be found. It would be amazing if you guys could create an application that would allow me to compose on the go.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Android Application

Hi,

We'd love to have our software on other platforms as well, and it's on the "should do" list.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Android Application

Notation on Android has been recommended more than once. Our concept for other platforms than Windows is based on Wine. These guys do a real great job and Wine has become excellent meanwhile. Game developments drive this initiative. Game software on Linux with Wine is faster than on native Windows. Notation Composer on Ubuntu Linux with Wine is faster than on native Windows. The reason for that is that Wine is not an emulator or virtual machine. Simply spoken Wine is a kind of middleware which translates APIs to the Linux kernel.

The Wine community now actively moves in the direction to support Android. Since January 2018 the Wine community publishes Wine beta versions for Android Intel and ARM processors. As a first prototype we were able to install and run Player 3.1.0 on an ASUS x86 Android tablet. Please see screen shot.

However, there is still a long way to go until Android is fully supported. Playing a song e.g. creates noise and cracking, text like for lyrics does not work yet. But given the momentum which is driven by the game software developments the progress here is amazing. Today, we definitely can say that Notation on Android would also require software changes in our software.

We will use this thread to keep you informed about Notation on Android. It is not yet a project on our side but could become one .

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Player_on_Android.jpg (87.2 KB, 12 views)