Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi, I have for a long time

Hi,
I have for a long time being compiling my Composer scores into Word documents and providing them for download from my website (www.jazzworship.com). (I print each score using a TIF printer driver & then paste them into WORD).

I came across a 'free' hardcopy book publishing site: www.lulu.com that allows you to upload documents (eg WORD documents), select a cover, binding, format etc and then prints and despatches the book as customers require it. There is nothing I have to do & no cash outlay, except I generate the initial WORD (or PDF) file and upload to their site. They collect the cash (via credit card) as well.

You can have a look at my book of Composer scores at www.lulu.com/cmclenna

I'm still learning how to drive it, but it sounds great.

My next venture is to publish a CD of my music through their site.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 08-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde! This is really

Hello Clyde!

This is really exciting! You've made it so easy for folk to see and hear your music. Your own web page www.jazzworship.com does an excellent job laying out the collection of your 75(!) jazz worship songs.

The option to purchase a hardcopy through www.lulu.com is great. The price of the printed copy, $6.31 plus postage, is very reasonable. In fact, I'm going to explore making MidiNotate's manuals available through www.lulu.com. I'm going to order a copy of your songs as a test case for lulu.com, as well as a souvenir that I can use to show friends what you've done with some help from Composer.

Congratulations for expanding your publishing of music!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Gracie Knafel (gknafel)

Default Hi Mark: I agree with you a

Hi Mark:

I agree with you and will follow suit as well. Congratulations to you Clyde! I have really enjoyed listening to your songs on your website, and I would like to order the book too. You have been a forerunner for us in this endeavor. I'm glad to hear your thoughts about it, Mark. - Gracie Knafel
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark & Gracie, Tha

Hi Mark & Gracie,

Thank you both for your kind comments. I find it overwhelming that from the comfort of our own homes we can utilise all this technology to make our creations available to people all over the world.

Mark, your comment 'some help from Composer' is a total understatement. Composer has been an integral part of making this possible.

Again, many thanks ... Clyde
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde, Your 'Fill

Hello Clyde,

Your 'Fill my Life with Praise' song book arrived from Lulu about 15 minutes ago. It looks great!

The cover is very attractive. The song book opens up to a title page and second page "notes on these scores" that looks like the beginning of a store-bought song book. And so do all of the songs look like professional engraving-- better than a lot you'll find in music stores.

The binding rings hit some of printed material because of the very narrow margins you chose. That is the only detail that is problematic. The rest looks really good. You even have an alphabetical listing of your songs at the end of the song book.

At the piano I played the first four or five songs. It was a fairly new experience for me to actually play with my own fingers the music of a Composer user rather than listen to it through my computer speakers. It seems much more personal that way, even if my sight-reading might be painful for the composer (you) to hear.

Congratulations on your song book. This is a really nice first of a kind souvenier among my little collection of Notation Software artifacts.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, Thanks for the fee

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback on the book, and I'm pleased you like the end result. Composer did most of the work in assembling it.

I'll fix the margins problem.

My book has a bit further to travel than yours - but I am expecting it this week.

Again, many thanks

Clyde
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hello, Clyde: I couldn'

Hello, Clyde:

I couldn't find the thread discussing your virtual organ excursions, so I'll jump in here.

Have you seen this site: http://virtualorgan.com ?

It details and has available for download a program called MidiTzer (not a great name, I admit), which is a virtual WurliTzer theatre organ. It uses multiple midi keyboards and soundfounts and it sounds amazing.

I'm playing with it now and having a great time. It's not a liturgical organ, I know, but who can resist The Mighty WurliTzer? The two-manual version is freeware. There is a three-manual, extended version which is donation-ware, requesting a donation to the Society for the Preservation of Theatre Organs. Pretty slick.

Organically yours,

David
Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi David, This is a great l

Hi David,
This is a great link that you have given for this Theatre Organ.

It certainly is of interest to me, as I have been looking for an alternative Organ to the Classical organ that I could use for the more 'Gospel' type hymn.

I have downloaded the 'free' organ. It is surprising small in its 'footprint' in that it consumes minimal memory and disc space.

AND IT SOUNDS GREAT.

I found that I had no trouble driving it from Composer, using the Midi Yoke interface between Composer and the MidiTzer. It is easy to assign a Composer stave to a midi channel, and thereby drive each manual (and Pedals) separately.

A separate Stave is used to control Pistons and stop changes. In the MidiTzer Settings, you are able to export to a CSV file the controls for changing the stops and Pistons. The meaning of this file is not immediately obvious, but what I have found it to mean is as follows:

(a) Piston changes are really Midi Instrument Changes.
(b) Individual stop changes are switched on by controller 81 (giving it a certain value as in the table). Individual stops are switched off using controller 80 (giving it a certain value as in the table).
(c) Swell shutter controllers (volume control) are also done by using the assigned controllers and giving them a value (1-16000). For example, using controller 11 (Swell Main) with a value of 8000 1/2 shuts (or opens) the swell shutters.

In regard to recording the output from the organ, our old friend Audacity is used (and suggested on their web page). It works well, and also records in stereo.

(In regard to stereo, Theatre organs usually have the pipes split between two swell chambers, one on the left and one on the right. The little circle above each stop indicates which side the pipe is in - the black center dot indicates the right, and the white centre indicates the left. In actual fact the stereo recording in Audacity records gives them a slight pan towards the left and right, not an all or nothing effect).

So can I say David, this is a great find that you have shared with us, and one I most certainly will take up. Can I suggest that if other forum users of Composer are interested in some good organ sounds here is a good place to start - and the price is right .... FREE!

With many thanks ... Clyde