Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > General music tips and questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

General music tips and questions Ask questions or share tips about instruments, playing, writing music, or other music-related topics.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior User

Default How to insert a glissando?

Hi folks,

can anyone tell me how to add a glissando between two notes?

I have not found the right button yet

Thanks

Daniel
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: How to insert a glissando?

Hi, Snoops:

Tricky things, glissandi.

Composer doesn't actually have a function to create a glissando. It can display a graphic element for a glissando or portamento. This is available under the Lines tool bar item.

Performance of a glissando is different. I usually create a hidden staff, assigned to the same midi channel as the staff where the "displayed" glissando element appears. I then place the notes for the glissando in that hidden staff, either playing them in or adding them manually. Set the note velocity of the beginning and end notes in the "displayed" staff to 0, so they don't sound and let the hidden staff play the beginning and end of the glissando, along with the notes in between.

A portamento glide, such as in the opening bar of Rhapsody in Blue, is set with the GraphOverNotes function, using either a generous amount of pitch bend (note with wavy line icon) or using Midi Continuous Controller 5 to set the portamento time and Midi Continuous Controller 65 to turn the function on and off (use the CTL? icon to select which Midi CC you want).

Good luck.

David
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior User

Default Re: How to insert a glissando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hi, Snoops:

Tricky things, glissandi.

Composer doesn't actually have a function to create a glissando. It can display a graphic element for a glissando or portamento. This is available under the Lines tool bar item.
Aaaah, that's the tool bar where it is 'hidden'

Thank you