Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > General music tips and questions

General music tips and questions Ask questions or share tips about instruments, playing, writing music, or other music-related topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Trombone Bends

I've asked questions before about portamentos and gotten quite a bit of help from Sherry and DJ (David, are you still out there?) a few years ago for my "White Christmas". I've attached an portion of my "Hello, Dolly!", which includes only the Dixie Combo parts.

I have tried to simulate the Dixie trombone effects in measures 2, 3, 5, 10 and 11 by using a separate staff for trombone bends. In the places where I'm using GraphOverNotes to simulate this effect, I've set the Note Velocity of the subject notes in the Dixie Trombone staff to 0, after copying the notes to the Trombone Bends staff, and incorporated the bends in the Trombone Bends staff. The end result sounds close to what a human trombone player would do, so I'm satisfied that this is the best I can do sound-wise within Composer.

I know I can hide a staff via Staff > Setup, but this is temporary. Is there a way to do what I've done and make the Trombone Bends staff invisible?

Also, any suggestions/tips on the bends that I've used -- perhaps a better way -- would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph
Attached Files
File Type: not Hello, Dolly! Excerpt.not (50.2 KB, 6 views)