Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Default The Stars and Stripes Forever Duet

"The Stars and Stripes Forever" was written in 1897 by John Philip Sousa, the "March King". Sousa was the commandant of the U. S. Marine Band at the time.

This is an advanced piece. Some sections are fairly easy, but other are going to require extra work. My apologies for not preparing this earlier in the year so that it could be played for the Fourth of July. Perhaps a realistic practice target would be for Labor Day.

This is a very rangy song through the varying themes, so I had to choose the best key for the entire peice - Concert A Major at measure 1 and Concert D Major at measure 39 (Trio). There is a little bit of fallout from this restriction - relative to the keys I selected, the eighth notes on beat 3 in measures 74 (Concert E5) and 78 (Concert F#5) had to be modified from Sousa's original score. In this arrangement, these notes would be A4 and B4 respectively - below the range of the Soprano Recorder. If you are playing instruments that can play these lower pitches, you can change these notes back to A4 and B4. Additionally, I have intentionally left out the classical "Dog Fight" section, where the piccolos perform high-pitched arpeggios.

If you would like to see the chords, you can use the Composer command qscn to display them.

Ralph R. Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Stars & Stripes Forever Duet.not (90.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: not Stars & Stripes Forever Duet Bb.not (90.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 07-26-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Corrected the print view title