Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM
andrew hutnick (ahutnick)

Default I have the MusicPad Pro which

I have the MusicPad Pro which is made by FreeHand Music Systems.On the FreeHand Music site they sell digital sheet music which you can buy and download into the MusicPad Pro.Most of the music that is on their site is in a format called Solero. The neat thing about that format is that the sheet music can be transposed and apparently have a MIDI file encrypted so that one can hear how the piece should sound and of course one can slow or speed up the tempo as well.It would be cool to have someway of converting Not files to Solero format but I realize this may not be so easy!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Andrew, -------------

Howdy Andrew,

----------------------------
The neat thing about that format is that the sheet music can be transposed and apparently have a MIDI file encrypted so that one can hear how the piece should sound and of course one can slow or speed up the tempo as well.}
----------------------------

I'm not sure if you're asking for the format conversion from .not to Solero because of a functionality difference you find more desirable in the MusicPad, or if your request is simply to be able to use files you have worked on in Notation products, and have in .not format, on your MusicPad. So, a few more questions

Have you tried the Staff/Transpose features in Musician (and Composer)? Is there an aspect of the Transposition feature that you find more helpful in MusicPad Pro?

When any Notation product plays the song file, it's playing via a MIDI device, so you'll hear how the song sounds. You can adjust the tempo via the tempo buttons in the main tool bar, and save the change. You can also save any .not file as a .mid file.

Notation products work on any PC, and can use any MIDI (.mid), Karaoke (.kar), or NoteSoft (.not) file and convert it to sheet music which you can hear (by pressing the Play button) and see (the notes highlight on the score).

I have not seen the MusicPad Pro in action, but from the information that I've read, it's a dedicated sheet music reader (not editor) with a dedicated format (Solero) and the main feature is it's portability (it's "notebook" size). So I can understand if you wanted to be able to convert .not format to Solero format so you can use files that you edit in Notation products on a MusicPad Pro. Is this what you're asking for?

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Yes,basically I wou

Hi Sherry, Yes,basically I would like to be able to convert .not format to Solero format so that for instance I would able to transpose a piece at the MusicPad Pro that had been originally created by Composer.The Staff/Transpose features in Composer are terrific as well as Composer's ability to transcribe MIDI files however putting a laptop on a music stand at a gig probably would not work so well. Actually you can edit notes on the MusicPad. Thanks,Andrew
Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Hi Andrew, Thanks for clari

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for clarifying!

And "you can edit notes on the MusicPad" - I learned something new today

I do know of some users who use laptops with Notation products for performance, but it probably wouldn't work on standard music stands ;)

I'll let Mark Walsen (the chief developer) address the priority of such a conversion feature, as it involves all that magic stuff he does.

Out of curiosity, does the MusicPad use MusicXML format? I didn't see anything about that, but I only looked briefly. If so, Composer 2.2 does "Save as..." MusicXML.

I do see that the software that comes with MusicPad has the capability to transcribe PDF files of your sheet music. With that in mind, you can use a printer application such as PDF Creator (free at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) to save a PDF file of your Notation Composer .not file (you'd select PDFCreator when you use "File/Print"), and then use the MusicPad software to import that into your MusicPad. It might be worth a try. If you do try it, let us know how it goes.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Default I don't think Musicpad use

I don't think Musicpad uses MusicXML format at this time.Is there a way to convert .not files to Tiff format? Unfortunately having MusicPad manager and PDF creator on the same computer is not a good match because MusicPad manager would not open after installing PDF creator.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 AM

Default As it turns out the PC version

As it turns out the PC version of MusicPad manager does have a printer driver so that not files can be imported directly into Freehand format and the files I have imported from Composer into come out looking real good.But yeah,It would be neat to play those files as well from the MusicPad Pro.