Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Beta Testing Area > Beta 3.0.7 > Chord names

Chord names Report and discuss chord names feature

Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Senior User

Default Chords over 2 octaves

I thought to test the chord recognition of composer by playing the chords of C Major over two octaves. The result is shown. All works OK in the first octave but then things go wrong in the second octave (should be Dm Em F and G as in the first octave. Strange behaviour!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Composer Chord recognition 1.jpg (95.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Chords over 2 octaves

Hi Martin,

I'm not seeing this problem here. I'm using beta 3.0.6-103, and I did the following:
  1. Entered the quarter note chords by entering one set of chord notes, then copy/pasting them into the rest of the positions.
  2. Adjusted note pitches by selecting a chord, then using P + Up arrow key to position the bass note, then clicked the "natural" key in the palette to make the notes all properly naturals.
  3. Ran the Chordname Wizard (Text/Chord Names/Analyze and Display...) with the "Classical" style and selected Right Hand piano.
I got the following:

Martin_octave_chordnames.jpg

which all looks correct for chord names.

Here is the file I made for this: ChordWizard_octaves_testing.not

What steps did you take to get the file and results that you did? And can you please post a copy of the file that gives these results?

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Senior User

Cool Re: Chords over 2 octaves

Thanks Sherry.
That's very interesting. I am surprised that the method of entering notes has such an effect on the interpretation of chords names. Please may I ask you to enter them as I did to get the missing chord names.

Start a new blank stave.
Enter step time record and choose quarter notes. Place the cursor over bar 1 beat 1. Now enter all the triads from your keyboard C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C and continue up another octave. Dont use cut and paste. Now transcribe the chord names.

Strangely enough, I did this myself before replying to your last post and got a different set of missing chord names than those showing in my previous screenshot.

Martin
Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Martin,

Please post a copy of the file that is showing the problem - that will help us better assess the issue.
The method of note entry should not affect the chord names, so we'd want to see if there is something "under the covers" that is happening.

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 09-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Senior User

I think it will be for the best to forget this problem for now please. I just tried several times to reproduce my original screenshot and could not. Composer transcribed the chords OK. Just on the odd occasion when I use step time record and play the chords in too quickly I might see a missing chord name. I will be happy to get back to this problem if and when I get more reproducible evidence as time goes by.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Senior User

Just reproduced the error so I thought you might like to see it in the attachment. I entered the chords using step time record.
Attached Files
File Type: not Missing chord names.not (9.7 KB, 4 views)