Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Default Don't Get Around Much Anymore Septet

At the risk of flooding this forum with too much of my stuff, I'll post one more for the time being. Don't Get Around Much Anymore was written by Duke Ellington in 1940.

This arrangement is in the septet format and actually is my orchestration of an arrangement for the Les Elgart Band. I do not know who the original arranger was.

One of the learn-by-copying tools we employed at Berklee was to take any particular song on a album, and try to create an exact paper copy of it. This is a very arduous task, but you learn a lot in the process. The specific voicings are the biggest challenge and sometimes the vagaries of recording techniques render it impossible to get this exact. But, you try and you learn. I did the big band copy of it for school, and while I was in the Air Force, I down-sized it for my septet.

This score was written with swing triplet notation to get the right feel, but I retranscribed it before putting it on the forum. The swing triplet notation presented only two measures per page in some instances -- not very easy to read/study.

Again, the attachment sounds better in midi than on a PC sound card.

If you're interested in hearing the original, the CD is available. It is a two-LP combination of the albums Les & Larry Elgart and Les Elgart on Tour. The production company is Collectables, and there are two IDs on it: COL-CD-6646; and Sony A-31582.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Don't Get Around Much Anymore.not (187.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 11-27-2018 at 03:12 PM.