Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi, Here is Verdi’s Ave Mar

Hi,

Here is Verdi’s Ave Maria from Otello. I have provided the .not file and its associated .studio file. This demonstrates the simplicity of using Composer and GPO together.

The music was scanned from a piano score to midi. In composer I have reassigned the voices and assigned the instruments to GPO. Options in Kontakt Player should be set to CC#7 and CC#10 to be on. I have set all instruments to modwheel=10000.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Ave Maria
AveVerdiB.not (101.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Ave Maria
AveMaria.studio (54.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>

What you hear is the result of this. As it is, it has potential, but is not quite satisfactory.
Anybody interested can improve on it, using graphical and other editing tools of Composer. There is no copyright to this music. With some imagination it could even be changed in style. There is no limit.

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi, Thanks to Herbert, my mot

Hi,
Thanks to Herbert, my motivation to again work with GPO has been re-instilled. Here is my 2006 composition, Ariadne, using GPO. The GPO Studio file is also enclosed. Any feedback at all from those who use GPO would be gratefully accepted. I know there are some volume issues to be improved on, but any advice, comments, or tips would be welcome.
BTW, "Funky Salsa" is still holding its own on the American Idol Underground web site. This week it reached it's 2nd highest ranking #5. It was #1 only once but is usually between #20 &amp; #30 and is located in the "all jazz" genre.

Thanks again for any comments or help on GPO.
P.S. the studio file will probably be downloaded as .xml file.The file extension would have to be renamed to .studio and placed in Studio directory

Cheers,
Fred<center><table border=1><tr><td>Ariadne_GPO Version
Ariadne _ Piano and Orchestra_gpo.not (282.5 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>Studio file
Ariadne_Piano and Orchestra.studio (135.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Fred, I have just receiv

Hi Fred,

I have just received your ariadne file. It seems that channels are not correctly assigned. For instance “Violin1 Gagli Solo” should be on channel 1 of GPO1 in Staff Setup, not on channel 3. The channel number refers to the channel of the device, not to Composers sequential numbers of channels under Staff Setup.

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Hi Herbert, Aha, thank you. I

Hi Herbert,
Aha, thank you. I wondered about that when I did it. I redid the files for the correct channel nos. Thanks for any additional suggestions.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Fred, The .studio file I

Hi Fred,

The .studio file I downloaded, did not fully work. I deleted the file and set it up again. In Composer, I changed the channels to what I think you intended.

Lush string sections in GPO work best with long sustained notes. This is particular clear, if you listen to the cello section in your music. You should reduce strings to a few section and a few solo instruments. All sections and solo instruments need to be well balanced to avoid a muddy and confusing sound. This is always important, but even more important for music that is not performed live but reproduced by a sound system, due to limitations of sound systems normally used.

Here are some general comments. GPO’s timpani is good to use. CC#22 and CC#23, accessible on the on the Kontakt Player as VAR1 and VAR2, help to produce a very natural sound. You can do closed rolls on the timpani. There are some other nice percussion sounds on GPO, such as gongs, which I have used recently in some Chinese motives. GPO is easy to use, if you do backing tracks. JAAB is similarly easy to use.
Neither GPO nor JAAB have good Double Bases, played pizzicato. JABB’s guitars are very basic. I have not warmed to JABB’s accordion. This is not a complete list. I am still experimenting.

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Hi Herbert, Thanks again! You

Hi Herbert,
Thanks again! You have given me much to go on. I will use all your suggestions. Shelving GPO and JABB last year didn't help much with my progress. This is a nice start to producing better sounds.
Cheers,
Fred