Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Active User

Default Re: Missing notation features

Hi Sherry, thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra1 View Post
2. Can't pick the appropriate dotted quaver/semiquaver beam groups for any of the meters so composer gets confused right away with the first bar right hand, I can't figure out how to convert those beamed notes back to the dotted quaver I inserted.
You can do beams and dotted notes on a case-by-case basis. Just click on the note(s) to select it/them, and you can use the tools in the Notes palette to make adjustments. In Help/Users Guide you can use the Index to look up how to do various editing tasks.
I think this is another bug. I thought it was a beam group issue (in that it shouldn't convert the dotted notes to beamed notes if the beam group is configured correctly, and I couldn't and still can't figure out how to configure those) but I guess it isn't. Composer isn't able to draw a dotted semiquaver followed by a dotted quaver followed by a dotted semiquaver as in the first bar of the modern piano piece. It won't do it for me anyway. It insists on drawing the dotted quaver as 3 tied notes, in my example above it uses a demisemiquaver + semiquaver + dotted semiquaver, if you try entering it in e.g. a 6/8 meter it uses a demisemiquaver + quaver + demisemiquaver. If you try to collapse either of these back to a dotted note with (ct) you get the message "Collapsing the tie would result in irregular note duration. Try changing voice of notes".

Quote:
I *think* that what you're referring to is the D in the last measure of the 3rd line in the attached example. All I can say is that Composer only adds accidentals with parentheses to avoid confusing the live musician about keys.
A lot of accidentals in that Brahms piece are courtesy accidentals. I am not sure why there are no parentheses around them but I do come across scores where courtesy accidentals are drawn without parentheses from time to time. Having said that I would agree that this one isn't as fatal as the other issues.

Quote:
I'm just counting bars as shown in the piece, and am not seeing that 3 voices are needed for bar 10. What am I missing?
Try drawing bar 10. The meter is 3/8. The upper voice gets the beamed dotted quaver + 3 semiquavers.
The lower voice gets the two dotted crotchets. Because the crotchets are dotted you cannot draw the following two quavers in the lower voice as they would overlap. If you draw them in the upper voice they convert to beamed semiquavers and connect with the notes above and that's not how they are supposed to be played.

Last edited by Gurra1; 11-12-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: correction