Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

If you are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.0 through 2.5.1, you are highly encouraged to update to version 2.5.2. You can review the version number of Composer or Musician by using the About command in the Help menu.

Visit the following web page for a description of the feature enhancements and bug fixes in the various releases 2.0 up to 2.5.1 and for instructions for updating to the latest version 2.5.2:

http://notation.com/ComposerWebUpdate.php

or

http://notation.com/MusicianWebUpdate.php

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Sherry, Mark, My Midi De

Hi Sherry, Mark,

My Midi Device Configuration starts with Microsoft GS Wavetable and is followed by GPO Studio.

When exporting a .not file to midi, in Staff Setup of the .mid file, all channel settings are maintained, but GPO Devices of the original .not file change to Microsoft GS Wavetable.

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Herbert, A MIDI file

Howdy Herbert,

A MIDI file won't keep track of which device you assigned to a channel. That's one of the benefits of keeping the .not version around, as it does keep track of device information.

When you open a .mid file in Composer, it will automatically assign all channels to your default MIDI device, which is apparently the Microsoft GS Wavetable. The GS Wavetable is the default device on installation of Notation software products, so unless you change the default MIDI playback device to another of your devices, your results are what I would expect when you open a .mid file.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Sherry, Thank you. He

Hi Sherry,

Thank you.

Herbert
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default I am having a terrible time wi

I am having a terrible time with tempo changes in 2.5.2.

I am doing nothing different than I ever did. I open the dialog with the tempo button. I check constant tempo. I insert the numerical value. I insert the range of measures, beats and ticks. I try the numerical value, change it if necessary.

Where there is a tempo change, I open the dialog with the tempo button. I make sure constant tempo is still marked. I insert the numerical value. I insert the range of measures, beats and ticks.

This has always worked fine. Now I am finding Composer is making changes. I started with 77 as the tempo, changed to 84, 91, 97, 109, 112, 115, 109, etc. The tempo button shows 77 all the way through, while the dialog box shows 117 as the tempo.

Either the way I have always set and changed tempo is no longer supposed to work in 2.5.2, or something is wrong somewhere.

After two sessions during which the only work has been trying to get tempos right, I thought I'd write and see if anyone else has noticed anything in this regard.

Note, saving the file does not lock in the tempos I have set.

all best,
mgj
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi, I have been trying a nu

Hi,

I have been trying a number of other .not files, some quite old, most newer, which I have never had tempo problems with.

First, the tempo button shows a different number than the tempo shown in free text at the top of the score. If I click the tempo button, the correct number is shown in the dialog. However, clicking the tempo button has strange effects. When playback is resumed, the tempo has changed and new numbers are shown in the dialog.

Is there any way to roll back to 2.5.1. There were no problems there, and I can't really do any writing as long as the tempos keeps changing on me.

all best,
mgj
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy MG, I'll investig

Howdy MG,

I'll investigate this problem with the tempo. In the meanwhile, I've sent you your 2.5.1 copy. If you don't get that within a reasonable amount of time (an hour, perhaps) please reply to my work email address and I'll work with you to get you a copy.

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy MG, I'm pretty ce

Howdy MG,

I'm pretty certain that the problems you're observing with the tempo can be pinned down to less-than-optimal feedback and default values in the Tempo dialog.

Here's what I see:

If I don't have a region selected and I open the Tempo Dialog at any point after stopping playback, the dialog shows me the following:

(1) the Tempo value at the very beginning of the file (not where the green Playback cursor has stopped)
(2) the Region (in the lowest part of the dialog) fields have the settings for the entire song, rather than beginning where the green Playback cursor is set.

Going further,
(3) if I click "Cancel" after looking at the dialog, the tempo changes in the file remain unchanged.
(4) IF, however, I click "Ok" rather than "Cancel" after viewing the dialog (without purposely making any changes in the dialog) then the Constant tempo value that was showing is applied to the entire song (which was the default Region in the dialog.)

It's definitely tricky (and dangerous) that the setting of the Tempo dialog can change your tempo adjustments without you explicitly changing anything in the dialog. I'll report this problem to Mark for fixing.

Thanks for reporting the problem!
Sherry
Closed Thread