Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
chstez

Default time-lag between melody and measure beat

Hello all,
With sample midi file joined could somebody explain me why we have got time-lag between :
heard beats melody (4/4 meter)
noted beats score (also 4/4 meter!)?
We can notice that there is one beat delay longer per measure so that 1st beat melody and 1st beat score fit each other every 5 measures.
Trying to listen to by using metronome is quite confusing
Is there a possibility (or trick) to overcome this problem with Notation Composer?
I met this problem with another piano piece. Both were recorded "live" by playing Roland KR7 piano.
When I use the 16 tracks sequencer no problem.
Thank you for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: not KR007001_Test.not (44.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: time-lag between melody and measure beat

Hi,

One issue that I'm seeing with this file, and it may be one of the "delay" issues you're referring to, is that the beat ruler does not line up with the "felt" beats of the piece. This observation suggests that the original file was recorded without respect to a metronome, which is why the beats don't line up. Fortunately, Composer has a new "Rebar" feature that allows you to "tap in" the barlines to adjust the barlines (and thus the beats) properly. Please see the Users Guide (Help/Users Guide), and use the Index to look up "barline" and select the "adjusting for metronomeless files" topic.

Another issue that comes up sometimes is a playback device delay. If you see the notes highlight and some time later you hear the note, then the playback device you are using has a delay. Composer has a feature to correct this latency, and you can learn about that by using the Users Guide and look up "latency", then choose the "calibrate" topic.

There may also be an issue if you are using a device that relies on ASIO. If your sound library uses ASIO, you may need to disable the GS Wavetable as it interferes with ASIO and will cause a delay. To disable the GS Wavetable while running Composer,
1. Use Setup / MIDI Device Configuration

2. Click "Port" in the menu list, and then "Select Ports"

3. In the right-hand panel list of "Output ports", uncheck "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" and click "Ok."
If you have any further questions, do let me know.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
chstez

Following your advices I have overcome my beats delay problem by using the helpful "recording of barlines or beats" function which is very easy to use.
Nice tool.
Of course there is a lot of work left to clean up the score but I surely spared 70% of time if I had to start this from scratch.
Thank you again Sherry
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi,

I'm glad that you've found the new Rebar feature to be helpful! It should make recording new songs, as well as beautiful performance files that were not recorded with a metronome, and getting good sheet music.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, we're all ears

Enjoy!
Sherry