Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Transcribing solo paino recordings

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmuller View Post
Did you hear about AnthemScore?

Yes, but it seems (from posts to other forums that I've read) to have the same shortcomings as most "audio to sheet music" software - the task is just too complex for anything more than a fairly simple single-instrument recording.

Taking any audio file and trying to separate out the instruments or voices (different instruments/voices playing the same note pitch or chordal notes), the notes themselves (determining what is a root note versus the harmonics), the root pitch (versus vibrato or reverb), the duration (whether the note is still playing or if that’s some ringing echo in the recording) and a host of other nuances is a very difficult technological task. Our ears and brains work in an incredibly complex way to discern all these aspects of music. Getting a program to do the same thing, and then produce a MIDI file (the “directions” for playing the piece) so that we can get sheet music is still a goal yet to be fully realized. He does a good job of explaining this on the "how it works" page of his site, but even getting a "clean" two-dimensional picture of the audio doesn't give you the dimension of "timbre to differentiate one instrument from another." Our brains are absolutely amazing when it comes to this task.

There are a number of programs that claim to do this, but in all the testing we’ve done, none of them do a good enough job to produce a MIDI that doesn’t still need a lot of work to give decent sheet music. Even the Melodyne Editor, which does an absolutely amazing job of separating audio tones, still doesn’t give a very good MIDI file for getting sheet music (though it can be used in sequencers to give a performance).

It's not that smart folks aren't trying their best, it's just a very difficult task to do well.

That said, I have not directly tested AnthemScore myself as I have run into a problem that also seems to be fairly prevalent from comments I've read about it - the software won't install properly on my machine, and I've been unable to get any kind of support or find a solution. Any suggestions?

ttfn,
Sherry