Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Beta Testing Area > Beta 3.0.7 > Other

Other Report or discuss other non-specified issues with the 3.0.7 beta.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Unable to delete Sound Change events

Hi, all:

I've run into a situation where a Sound Change that is inserted as part of a copy and paste operation is not deletable in the usual way.

In the attached .not file, the Pizz. sound change event in the String Section staff at bar 72 won't highlight when clicked on, although the Sound Change toolbar comes up.

Without being selected, it can't be deleted. The only way to delete it appears to be by selecting a region that includes the event and deleting that region (Ctrl-X).

This is not specific to the new beta, as it is also happening in 3.06 full release. I just haven't run into the situation before now.

Sound Changes manually inserted in the usual way are deletable, as expected.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not Sing A Song in 3-4.not (349.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Unable to delete Sound Change events

David,
Thx. TaskID 2995.
Reinhold
Old 01-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Administrator

David,

I analyzed the file. The issue is that 9 Pizz. sound changes in measure 72 are on top of each other. The order of the sound changes is that the selected one is the lowest in the list and is being overridden immediately by the next one. Because the next one is not selected it appears that the sound change still exist and is not selected. You can verify that by doing the steps (1)+(2) 8 times:
(1) select the sound change (stays black but the type is correctly displayed in yellow)
(2) delete it with the delete key
Afterwards the 9th selection highlights the last sound change symbol correctly. Or just select one and change the name.

From this behaviour there are actually 2 issues that I see:
(a) how can a second sound change being created on top of a former one at the same position? I had no luck to create this. Question to you: How were the sound changes created on top of each other?
(b) in case there are multiple sound change being created on top of each other for whatever reason, the currently selected one should be displayed in blue first and not being overritten by the next one. So far so good. But when this selected one is deleted, the next one is being displayed next in black. For the user this appears to be that deleting a selected sound change does not work.

This behaviour goes back to Composer 2.5.2 (the oldest that I have) and exists for more than 10 years now.

I checked the effort to implement (b). The effort is significant. I would therefore address (a) because it really helps where (b) just corrects something from the past but still confuses the user.

For (a) do you have any idea how those 9 sound changes on top of each other have been created?

All in all, this issue exists for a very long time now and therefore I see it to be a low priority in particular because I was not able to add soundchanges on top of each other. I will not hold back 3.0.7 because of this behaviour. But, of course, many thanks for reporting it. It is stored our TaskDB.

Reinhold
Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Administrator

David,
Or maybe, have you copied/pasted a piece of a measure which contained the sound change? May be this caused duplicating the sound change which would be a reason for (a).
Reinhold
Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi, Reinhold:

Looking at the file now, I can see that the icon and text appear a trifle fuzzy, indicating that they are overlapped. And, on selecting and deleting the event 9 times, it does, indeed, disappear.

That's peculiar, as the situation resulted from a single copy/paste operation. How nine events got on top of each other is a mystery.

Is it possible that this is related to the difficulty experienced in deleting lyrics? It seems that the lyrics get "piled" on each other when this situation appears and it takes multiple deletions to get rid of the lyric.

As this goes back as far as Version 2.5.X (or before) and I haven't run into it before, I'd agree that it's a low priority.

However, at least we've identified a workaround.

All the best.

David
Old 01-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Administrator

David,

Thanks, this confirms my gut feeling.
Yeah, I have always said in my software career that "when a developer does more harm to the software than improving it, the software is ready to be launched". So it is here. I have found the issue related to (a) which came in with a fix of copying beams with build 3.0.6-132. It fixes beam copying but the fix doubles/multiplies other elements like sound changes and lyrics. Thanks for your help.

Reinhold