Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
gagaga

Default Wrong chords after export to midi

I tranposed a midifile for yamaha tyros, from E to F, it sounds well and the chords shown in .not file are ok.
After export back in to a midifile the origin chords are shown in the midifile, playing the midifile on tyros this looks very strange.
All other things are ok.

Does anyone know what to do ?.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Wrong chords after export to midi

Hi,

When you exported the transposed file, did you give it a new name? A common issue is that when exporting an edited .mid file, it gets saved with the same file name but is perhaps in a different location than the original file. Then the user takes the original file, thinking that it's the one they've edited, and it appears that the changes they made have been lost or not saved.

Please check to make sure that the file you're opening in the Yamaha is the actual edited .mid file. If that is not the problem, please include copies of both the original .mid file as well as the edited version and I'll be glad to take a look at them. If you don't want to do that here, you can send them to the Helpdesk at support@notation.com

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Product Manager

Hi folks,

Just as an fyi for anyone who was following this thread, here is the reply I made after having the original .mid file emailed to me.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for including the files. There is something going on "under the covers" so to speak that is causing the problem with the transposed .mid file, and it has to do with the inclusion of the Yamaha PSR chords in the original file. The "typical" MIDI format does not have a chord name field, and so when a .mid file is exported from our software, the transposed chord names are not saved in the file. Then, on re-opening the file, Composer tries to be helpful and displays the original Yamaha PSR chord names which are still present.

I will write up a recommendation that (if possible) when a transposition is made, it will force the PSR chords to change as well. Historically we've tried to avoid sort of "stepping on the toes" of any proprietary type of information in files, but this probably qualifies as an acceptable case for doing so.

In the meantime, the work around would be to do the transposition in the Yamaha so that the PSR chord names will be correct in all versions of the file.

Best Regards,
Sherry
The Yamaha-generated files contain additional information fields with chord names in them, which Composer tries to helpfully read. However, when using Composer's transposition feature, it does not "tread on toes" so to speak by overwriting the original Yamaha information. Therefore, the original (and incorrect-after-transposing) Yamaha chord names are left in the file.

For anyone else who may be using a Yamaha that embeds chord names in a .mid file, I hope this proves helpful until we can get an "inside" improvement for you.

Best to all,
Sherry
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Nice sleuthing, Sherlock!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Product Manager

Hi David (and others),

I'm not the only one sleuthing

This from the helpdesk exchange:

Quote:
Hi

It seems that my problem is solved. I found a workshop (only in german) http://www.robbys-hp.de/PDF/Workshop...earbeitung.pdf. Even transposing in the yamaha does not change the chord text!. There is a link to http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index...page&Itemid=40, Downloads/ PSRUTI. This freeware transposed my file including the chord notations. The chords in the .midi file are the same as in the tranposed .not file.

Thanks for your help.
So even changing the chord names in the Yamaha after the initial chord names are entered won't change them. Kudos to the developer of the freeware "chord changer" though - solves issues for a lot of other folks as well.

ttfn,
Sherry