Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > General music tips and questions

General music tips and questions Ask questions or share tips about instruments, playing, writing music, or other music-related topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Active User

Default Anything a newbie should know?

Hello Everyone,

I'm Rob, from the Capital of Australia, Canberra, where it's cold.

I think I may have just found the right notation software for me. I only have the trial version now, but I think I love Composer 3 already.

I'm been making music for over 40 years and am reasonably up to date with music technology. I have tried most of the leading DAWS, and notation programs, and hopefully, NS Composer 3 will help me get my music written down so others can enjoy.

I have been using StaffPad for a few years if you have seen it yet, it's pretty amazing. But it really only works with a MS Surface Pro 4. http://staffpad.net/

What I'd like to know, are there things a newbie should know about Composer 3 before I buy it?

I've had a look around and tried out several functions, but of course, it's limited with the trial version.

I did notice that it did not translate my midi file as well as some other programs do; such as, it didn't set the tempo correctly. I had one piece at 70 bpm, but it brought it in at 120 bpm, any thought?

My DAW is Mixcraft 8. I compose mainly post-classical and jazz, that's why I use Mixcraft. Here's my sounds, if you are interested. https://robjkennedy.bandcamp.com/

I hope to talk to many of you soon.

Cheerio

Rob