Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default I am still referring to this a

I am still referring to this as a symphony, though it's dramatic center is only at the beginning of being established (the next, and nearly ready, section, "Hopes and Fears," begins to make the history of Ned and Nelly clearer. Mostly, however, it tries to show the attitudes of all involved in the Civil War. I am hoping that the ironies present in this, and I would imagine all, war are beginning to become apparent through the juxtaposition of songs, groups of words, and music. For example, the interruption of "Southern Girl" by Ned and his banjo; the echo of the Southern Girl's "we've sent the bravest of our land to battle..." ending the lament of the father who has just received the sword of his fallen son; the orchestral reference to "The Vacant Chair," which begins and ends this section, is mentioned again in the next section, and fully stated much later (section eight, perhaps).

When will I stop calling this a symphony? When I come up with a title that encompasses the story of Ned and Nelly and the setting in which it takes place.

The score is almost completely un-annotated, and I am using some soundfonts that will produce strange sounds, but it is probably the easiest way to follow the words of the mp3 at www.soundclick.com/mgjacobs , since the formatting of the lyrics there weren't retained.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Homefront zip
Symphony 3 (442.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>