Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Dr Peter Kalve

Default Just getting an email from She

Just getting an email from Sherry telling me I've been missed - here is a new piece for you all to Enjoy!!<center><table border=1><tr><td>Toccata for Organ
Toccata for Organ.not (219.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hello Dr. Kalve, The Toccat

Hello Dr. Kalve,

The Toccata, the Palindrome and the choral works provide quite a musical feast, whose dishes I find interesting to considerably satisfying, with the Toccata being the main course. This strikes me as particularly dramatic and powerful. I'm not sure why, but the echos of themes that seem familiar, as they appear in the bass may have something to do with it. I can't place them, but at about 2m 25s I have the feeling that I am hearing a bit of a hymn. At any rate, I wouldn't have listened to the piece several times through if it hadn't been effective. I'd like to hear it with the annotations realized in performance, though the power of the work is evident as is.

I took the liberty of editing the palindrome according to the dynamic instructions. The changes made quite a difference in the impression of the piece--transformed it, I might say, from an interesting idea into a satisfying, if brief, musical experience. I find myself wondering if you might have been reading or looking at tapes of the Bernstein lectures of 40-50 years ago where he drew parallels between music and grammar.

Thanks for sharing the pieces.

all best,
mgj
Old 10-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Dr Peter Kalve

Default Many thanks - glad you liked t

Many thanks - glad you liked the Toccata!

Lots of quotes - "Wachet auf", "Nun Danket", a small quotation from Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony!

The palindrome was great fun - I'm thinking of adding some more pieces to make a suite. The choral works are good fun too - especially the Ikon piece, which is deliberately in the style of John Tavener.

I have a recording of the Bernstein lectures on "The Unanswered Question". His analysis of the music of Cahrles Ives was remarkable, but hen so is the music of Ives - a much neglected and truly great composer. He is played a little here in the UK, but in America I do get the impression he is somewhat undervalued - quite wrongly!

Anyway - many thanks!

Peter