Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Beta Testing Area > Beta 3.0.7 > Other

Other Report or discuss other non-specified issues with the 3.0.7 beta.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Senior User

Default Default folder for song files

If I set a default folder for song files and save a song in a different folder, when I then try to open a new song, Composer takes me to the most recently opened folder rather than the default folder. This is not behavior as expected... do you agree?

Martin
Old 10-29-2017, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Default folder for song files

Martin,

Thank you. This is a bug.

Reinhold
Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Martin,

I had a closer look and need to withdraw my immediate statement "it is a bug". In all versions that I have available back to Composer 2.5.2 the behaviour is the same as you have described. Since version 3 we have displayed what the default directory is. When the user opens Composer the first time then the default directory is used but while he/she works the current directory is used. Same as for saving files.

It looks to me that there is some history here where I would like to ask Sherry for her expertise.

Reinhold
Old 10-29-2017, 01:11 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi, guys:

I think the thinking was that, having changed the directory for a current session, that new directory is the desired one -- until is changed again.

The default then returns with the next boot-up of Composer.

I've often wished for the ability to set different default directories for .not, .mid and so on.

David
Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Active User

I have several different places where I store songs that I am working on. When I work on a song, I will work on it for a very long time. That's why I would not want to see it go back to a default directory, but keep me coming back to that same area that I have been working on. If I want something else I'll change where Composer should look.

Ronald
Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Senior User

You are not forced to use a default folder in Composer. If you have ever chosen one in the past by ticking the box on a folder , you can un-check it and immediately move to a new folder to open a song. From then on Composer just uses the most recent folder you used, even if Composer has been shut down. There will be no default folder from then on until you check a box to set one. I think this is normal behavior for a lot of Windows programs. The problem I had when I raised this issue is that having chosen a default folder, Composer does not honor it. Save a file in a new folder and Composer seems to behave as if there were no default folder ( until you restart the program).

All this is no big deal really because Windows file managers have a shortcut to recently used folders. I use these shortcuts until the problem is solved.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Active User

Thank you for your explanation. As I use Composer, I keep discovering little roads that present themselves off the main highway. I keep making the statement, "What a wonderful piece of software". I just love this program.

Ronald
Old 11-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Senior User

I agree. So much useful music software packed into one great program.

Martin
Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Ronald, Martin,

Thanks. Your comments are very motivating. The market of music software is harshly competitive these days. However, we try to find unique features which others do not have. In this context direct input from our customers is essential to us. We take all input seriously and try to immediately take action if this is possible but will not lose focus.

Again thanks to all.

Reinhold