Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
stanciu2

Default Incorrect key signature from midi file

Hi all
(This is my first posting). I'm not blaming the software, just looking for a workaround. I downloaded a midi file (wheels) which plays in the key of C, the melody line is showing the correct notes, but the key signature displayed is in G. (Ultimately I want to transpose the piece to F, which shows key signature as C) a discrepancy of a fifth.
Any help would be appreciated!
cheers
Stan
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Incorrect key signature from midi file

Hi, Stan:

You can change the key signature simply by double clicking on the key sig in the score and changing it as you wish.

The notes should stay the same, except any F-natural accidentals should disappear in your "key of C displayed as key of G" file.

Notation products read the key sig from the midi file being interpreted and sometimes the creator of the file doesn't put in the correct sig.

Good luck.

David
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
stanciu2

Hi all, again
I found the answer in the archives: I am including it here because it may help someone else.
My NEXT problem will be changing the key signature during the song, where it all moves up two semitones!

"Hi, Roland:

What you wish to do is move the pitch of one staff.

The easiest way to do that is to simply click on the blue arrow to the right of the staff you wish to transpose. This will select that staff. Now type "qcrn" which will select all the notes in the staff (or choose "Convert region to selection of notes" from the Region menu). Now use the P key and Up/Down arrows to move the pitch of the selected notes up or down. P + Page Up/Page Down moves them an octave.

Good luck

David "

Cheers
Stan
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
stanciu2

Hi David
You are a gun! The other workaround was one of yours, and this is even quicker and easier! I tried it and it works. Thanks for such a quick reply. I have since found an answer in the help file to changing key signatures during the song, it's getting late so I'll try that tomorrow.
Once again, thanks, David.
Cheers
Stan
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

We aim to please.

David