View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Clyde, You wrote: &

Howdy Clyde,

You wrote:
(a) That GPO does not really use note velocity for volume control. It uses the 'Loudness' and 'Modulation' controls.
(b) Midi files that use note 'velocity' for volume control (eg BIAB) will not work correctly within GPO, unless 'velocity' controls are changed to either 'Loudness' or 'Modulation'.

Sherry replies:
Well, mostly

GPO does use note velocity to a certain extent. You should have heard - as well as been able to see on an audio file display - that note velocities do indeed affect the loudness to some extent. That said, note velocities are used for a lot of instruments to vary the "attack" on the note, more than the absolute loudness of the note. The volume of the track/staff also affects the perceived loudness of the instrument more than the note velocities , but the mod wheel does indeed rule with GPO instruments. It's used to simulate what would happen if a player were blowing or playing harder on their instrument, so that it's not only a louder sound, but in some cases the timbre of the sound changes, also, in the same way that bowing harder on a stringed instrument produces a different timbre than a softly bowed part. And I'm sure Fred could enlighten us about the nuances of blowing on a sax

I honestly haven't looked into any of the "MIDI event transposing" type apps, though I know that there are indeed a few out there. You may want to also check the Garritan forum for such applications that other users may recommend.

The other option is to just put in the MIDI graph information yourself in Composer, using the Graph view, and then selecting "Mod wheel" as the parameter to be graphed. It's actually pretty quick and easy, and you get to do the controlling

ttfn,
Sherry