View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Sherry, Thanks. When yo

Hi Sherry,

Thanks. When you say E2 to E5, are you speaking American or European? Is your middle C a C5 or C4?

Apparently, the standard is to write the treble clef an octave higher than played, but when writing in the bass clef the sound is as written. Is that correct?

If your E5 means the E just north of middle C, I would guess that I'm going to either have to make the guitars into a harp or harpsichord in the Canyon de Chelly piece, or use in addition to a guitar, a banjo and/or perhaps mandolin. It doesn't need to get as high as now written, but does need to get up into octave 6 (the octave above middle C).

Since it is supposed to be portable--that is, get a chellist, a violinist, a flutist, a couple of guitarists and a drum, and you can play it on a canyon rim--instruments with the bulk of a harpsichord or even a harp might defeat the portability.

Ah well, I like the mandolin and banjo, and the sound of either would fit, so I'll see what I can find out about their ranges...the banjo, I have learned, depends on which banjo you are talking about.

all best,
mgj