View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:15 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Always liked Shear

Hi Fred,

Always liked Shearing--a very distinctive style. Yes, lots of maj 7ths, etc. Major 7ths are tricky, but you use them well--without that chalk on the blackboard effect. Regardless of what a person calls them, if you have a C,E,F,G,A,B, what you're basically doing is playing a Cmaj7 and an F chord at the same time. How harmonic progressions are analyzed always fascinated me.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Maybe sometime we could work on something together in our “free time”.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

You're right. It could be fun. Maybe when I get this new computer functioning the way I want it to...if I can....Composer is like a new program, being so quick now. But I lost sixteen midi channels with it's integrated sound setup.

BTW, do you know the range of the standard 5-string nylon guitar and the 4-string bass? If you do, somewhere in Share/Music there is a piece (Canyon de Chelly) that uses guitar--perhaps two of them--and I really wonder how much is out of range.

Well, I've had today's listen to Funky Salsa (original version), so it's back to the computer.

best,
mgj