View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Getting Clavinova in Notation Composer

Well, our setup is a little different, but I'll tell you how I do it, and perhaps it will help.

I have a Clavinova CVP-405 and I connect my laptop to it with a USB cable. Does the CVP-25 has a USB port? Does your laptop have a USB port? Do you have a USB cable that you could use for a short test?

I found out early on in working with my setup that the hardware/software handshake is a little bit touchy. Therefore, I have a certain routine that I follow when I'm getting started. I don't know if there are other ways that work as well -- I only know this works for me, and I stick with it.

From your description, I'm not sure if you have a valid connection between the two devices. When you are connected, can you play a song in Notation Composer and have the sound come out of your Clavinova speakers? If not, then there is either a hardware connection problem or a software setup problem. As you state, the laptop tells you that the Clavinova driver is installed. Let's assume that is good and move ahead.

This is my connection ritual:
1) turn on the Clavinova
2) make certain the cable is firmly connected between the Clavinova and the laptop
3) turn on the PC
4) open Notation Composer
5) play a song from Notation Composer -- there is a Minuet.mid file in the default Notation/Songs folder that will do if you don't have any personal songs

Does the song you've selected play through the Clavinova speakers? If yes, then you should be able to record by opening a new song, clicking on the red record button in the title bar, and playing some notes on the Clavinova keyboard.

If no, then check your software setup:
1) click Setup in the title bar, then MIDI Devices Quick Setup...
2) in the Quick MIDI Device Setup pop-up, look at the upper left corner in Select MIDI Playback Device
3) what is displayed in that area? Is it Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? If so, that won't work for the Clavinova.
4) click the drop-down arrow at the right end of that box

When I do this, I see the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth entry and two Clavinova entries: Clavinova-1 and Clavinova-2. I have no idea what the difference is between them is, but Clavinova-1 works for me (I believe I've also tried the -2, but I'm not certain).

If you have Clavinova-1 or -2, or any Clavinova entries, select one of them and try the Test Playback button on the upper right. Try all of them to get one that works for you. If one of them works for the Test Playback, then you should be able to record as described above.

If the Select MIDI Playback Device does not show a Clavinova setup, then you will probably have to reinstall the Clavinova driver on your PC.

If the Select MIDI Playback Device does show a Clavinova setup, and the Test still doesn't work, then it would appear that you have a hardware connection problem.

Trying to troubleshoot your midi cable would be tough without help from the manufacturer. I would suggest trying a USB cable, if you have the capability.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

Last edited by rrayner; 03-29-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Corrected some details