View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, In my view, I don&

Hi Mark,
In my view, I don't think that running Composer under Mac OS X on an Apple Mac sould divert you from your current plans.

However, having said that, the promises of the emulator and other software packages is that it should run without any problems, and so it could be a job that is easily passed onto someone with the right skills/equipment.

I noticed in my enquiries of the Mac computers that while a free music program comes with the operating system (music program is called 'GrageBand') as far as a notation program it is not a patch on Composer. Also I notice there is nowhere near as many notation programs for the Mac as there is for the Windows based PC, and perhaps this may open up a market opportunity.

What I have discovered so far, is that there are three ways a Windows program can be run on the Mac:

(a) BootCamp. (www.apple.com/bootcamp) This is an Apple free program that allows you to boot the Mac up as a Mac Os X machine to run Macintosh software OR boot it up as a Windows XP (or Vista) computer to run PC applications. (You can't have them both running at the same time).

(b) Parallels. (www.parallels.com) This is an emulator that runs as an application under Mac OS X, and allows you to run any number of operating systems, including Win XP (SP2), Vista, Linux etc. Switching from one to the other is like switching windows un Win XP.

(Note: I would think that Composer would have a fair chance of working unaltered under these two options).

(c) CrossOver (www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac). This installs and runs the Windows application as a normal appliction under Mac OS X. This would be the preferred method for Composer as it would be just another Mac application, but the chances of working are a lot less.

Anyway, something to ponder when you need a change from 'soundfounts' etc .

Cheers ... Clyde