View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Sheri and Mark: These p

Hi, Sheri and Mark:

These pieces were sequenced into Cakewalk quite a few years ago, then a year or so back, I transferred them into an early beta of Composer, pre-grace notes. When I came back to them recently, they were already .not files, so I had to manually do the grace notes, which Composer handled admirably.

Getting effective fermatii is also difficult with most sequencers. Hand-drawing the tempo curves is always exacting, and, of course, the computer doesn't understand what a musician would intuitively do with a fermata. The lead guitarist in our band made good use of his amp's tremelo at those points, giving a nice suspension.

Our original band for this was guitar, bass, drums and myself on keyboards, with two of the actors in the play also playing guitar and piano as part of their characters. I had my hands full trying to cover violin, steel guitar, organ and such. Of course, all of that was, if not pre-MIDI, at least so early in the MIDI era that nobody could afford a MIDI keyboard. I played a borrowed Korg Delta and my own Fender Rhodes and Arp Odyssey keyboards.

I haven't done a lot of country, but it's fun, occasionally.

Maybe I'll post some blues or jazz next time.