Thread: March
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi MGJ, > I didn't

Hi MGJ,

> I didn't realize your instrument was the clarinet--

I started on the clarinet at age 9 and then switched to the saxophone at age 14. Of course, I continued to play the clarinet, when called for, as well as the other woodwinds. I could play the flute, too, but I only played one flute solo in public because I almost fainted..

> It might be fun to take a couple of things, like Alabama Heart and Soul and Blue Blue Grass, and write a bridge between them and create a medley. If you did that, you'd have a very long exposition, so you might take a theme from each and bridge them together.

Wow, do we think alike! I am toying with the idea of using some of my original compositions as themes for the "Drum and Bugle" thing. They would not actually be the same and would be hard to recognize as the orininal. I would have to just use the melodies and change the meters and presentation of the theme to fit the "similar mission". I was centering on "Fred Has Left The Building" as the main theme (beginning and ending with it) because it would be appropriate for the personality the piece would require.

I know it ain't gonna be easy! The editing of all the drums staves alone would take months to do. I have been experimenting with that for a while now, and have found that I can make it sound like a complete line of at least 12 drummers. Then I would have to start on a line of glockenspiels, too. Oh, fun! If I can finish it at all, I expect at least a year of work is in store for me. I may have to release the piece one theme at a time along the way.
Cheers,
Fred