Thread: Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Lee Eschen (leeschen)

Default Ah, nostalgia. A perfect thre

Ah, nostalgia. A perfect thread for this post. Last week, I was at the Portland (Oregon) VA Hospital for an early morning appointment. Afterwards I had to wait for a prescription to be filled and hearing a piano playing in the large lobby, I wandered over to listen.

An older gentleman was playing, mostly old show tunes and big-band pieces arranged for piano. I struck up a conversation with the artist and soon found myself enveloped in a world of wonder. The man's name was Taud Coffman, a unique spelling which certainly must identify him to anyone who might have ever known him.

He told me that he started as a singer at Carnegi Hall, but the money was poor. He wound up working in musicals, both onstage on and off Broadway, and in movies. He mentioned many, but for me the standout was The Music Man (starred Robert Preston).

He dropped names like Judy [Garland], Frank [Sinatra], and Barbara [Streisand] (not friendly with her, but had to work with her). He did not sound like one trying to impress, but simply like one recalling his life to a friend.

We have several older musicians on this forum who were playing professionally during the time of Taud's career. I wonder if any of you, perhaps Fred or M G or you, Derek, might have ever known Taud, either personally or professionally? You might like to know that he is living within a few miles of the Portland VA Hospital, in seemingly good health though beginning to have some memory problems, and that he cares enough about us vets to volunteer several hours a week playing for our benefit. I, for one, am truly grateful.

I hope there are some out there who perhaps knew Taud in his prime and can shed further light on overlapping music careers. I wish I had my camera with me at the time and I might have posted a picture of Taud. Perhaps on my next trip.

Fred, my prayers are continuing for Patsy. I hope she is doing well.

Blessings to all,
Lee