Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Herbert, Thanks for s

Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for sharing this with us! I'll issue the disclaimer that for the performance of the piece, I had to substitute some GPO instruments and soundfonts (I have an SB Audigy 2 that can use them) for your JABB instruments, so I'm sure some nuances were different in my translation, but I really enjoyed your composition compilation, and arrangement of this Christmas music. The harp chord arpeggios were really nicely done, as were many other performance techniques.

One thing I might mention for those that don't have the Garritan libraries: to listen to this piece you may want to use the GraphOverNotes feature and re-set the mod wheel settings to "0" for any staves other than the piano. Garritan libraries use the Mod wheel to control nuances of the performance in a way that is very different from most MIDI devices, and so if you set, for example, the violins to a different device (such as the MS Wavetable) you'll get a really strange wavering sound unless the Mod Wheel is re-set to 0.

I mention the above because even if you don't have Garritan Personal Library or Jazz and Big Band Library, you shouldn't let that deter you from listening and watching Herbert's work - it's a fantastic compilation, and will have you singing or humming along (and I don't even speak German exept for Stille Nacht ;) ).

Herbert, it must have been glorious to have those bells ringing out at the end, after all that brass! I can imagine the performance of this piece along with the bells and soloist must have been a very moving experience for everyone there. Thanks for sharing this with us

ttfn,
Sherry