Thread: Purchasing GPO
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Susan Bagot (susanmusic)

Default Hi Djim, Thanks for the i

Hi Djim,

Thanks for the info. It does sound as if GEM would be much more appropriate for me than GPO.

I'm a piano teacher who uses Standard Midi Files as accompaniments for my students' pieces. Most of the files I use are purchased from educational music publishers. But I do sequence my own files when none are commercially available for a particular teaching piece or collection.

Over the years I've used a variety of software and hardware synths/samplers. Thanks to this forum I've been able to work with soundfonts. I recently purchased the Ketron SD2 sound module (mostly wonderful sounds but a few I don't like).

Do I really NEED another software sampler? Probably not. The average eight-year-old piano student would be just as happy with Microsoft GS wavetable or with my GM keyboard as midi output. Furthermore, the musicians who sequence midi files for educational publishers do an excellent job of choosing patches that sound good on anything! But if GEM sounds anything like the GPO demos, how could I not get it?

Susan