Thread: HELP
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default HI, M.G. Thanks for the info!

HI, M.G.
Thanks for the info!

>In light of that, I'm not sure any experimenting I do would be of much value. In order to hear the clarinet measures, for instance, I had to reduce the master volume of the strings way, way down. If you can hear the clarinet on your set up, my experiment would just screw you up.
That's weird. I had to turn the volume down on the clarinet because it overpowered the strings. I took the clarinet out for the moment, but I may try it again later.

>Have you thought of having the strings act as accompaniment, instead of having them double the piano in the same octave? Seems to me the piano is and should be the star of the piece, rather than competing with the strings. Perhaps the strings could augment the harmony, with violins or violas doubling some of the melody a couple of octaves lower than the piano, which plays mostly in octaves 6 and 7?

>I like the flute and clarinet sounds. I wonder if a passage with one of those instruments as soloist--strings and even piano providing accompaniment--might provide a nice contrast? I think the melodic content would support a longer version of the composition.

I agree. That has been on the agenda. On my machine, the strings do not compete too much, but they should. I still have quite a bit of work to do on the strings and the flute. Boy, you should have heard it in the beginning! What a mess! I started out simply copying the piano to the strings. I thought it would be easier to subtract than to create all new parts. But I wasn't thinking clearly at the time, and forgot the foot pedal was also being copied. It took me a while to realize violinists don't use foot pedals. It sounded like an orchestra tuning up! I was using the flute as an "in and out" kind of thing with the piano. I like your suggestion of adding a clarinet or flute solo, too.
Thanks for all your help.
Fred