Thread: HELP
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I still like this.

Hi Fred,

I still like this. It does seem a natural for piano and strings.

Instrument ranges can be found in a music dictionary or encyclopedia. Probably most can be found online, though finding a staff with the range possible to the instrument and the range most players can manage I haven't always found easy, though finding basic information on a given instrument is as easy as typing its name in a google search box.

There are a lot of books on Orchestration. You might try a local used book store, or see what Amazon.com has. Luckily, about 45 years ago, I ran across Kennan's "Technique of Orchestration" in a used book sale. Near the back is a listing of the common (and some not so common)orchestral instruments, showing on staves their possible as-written and transposed (if applicable) range, as well as the "easier" range.

In "Summer's Gone" you probably don't need the cello, unless you intend it to stand out. Also I wonder if you didn't intend string ensemble 1, rather than 2. Whichever, the GM string ensemble can be used for the Bass, Cello, Viola and Violin sections. It might help to rename them to Basses, Cellos, etc., then be aware of the range of each instrument.

Generally, the violin can play from G4 on up as high as the player is capable of going, though violins get to sounding thinner and shriller the farther you go above, say, C7. The viola has a low limit of C4 and can go up to C6, while the cello's range is C3 to C6, and the bass, as I recall it, can play up to middle C and go as low as the piano.

I took the liberty of experimenting a bit with "Summer's Gone" and found the more lush sound of the violins an octave lower to be quite appealing in some places.

Anyhow, good luck with this. The piece is well worth working on, I think, and will look forward to hearing subsequent versions.

all best,
mgj